Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

DSG rattle

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2007, 04:50 AM
Default DSG rattle

I purchased my newA3 2.0T DSG last month. Currently its at 1000 miles and its been driving fine except for the fact that when Iaccelerate a littlequickerthere seems to be a rattle at the gearbox when it switches from gear 1-2,2-3 at 2800-3200rpm. I brought the car into the dealer and they said they could hear it butits very slight, and that it might just be the car breaking into its fresh gears/clutch. To me its quite obvious and a new car shouldnt sound that way. I've never heard anything like it before.Itmay be hard to replicate sometimes; sometimes its not as abvious but its still there. Wheni accelerate really quickly (gear change at over 3500rpm)thegrinding sound doesnt come out or is more quite than usual.When i accelerate slowly it doesnt come out at all (gear change at1800-2200rpm). The soundseems to come frombehind the glove box. The dealer did a check andthey didnt see anything; no error codes as well. I heard this may be a flywheel/clutch problem, turbo, or even some jacked up gears. I['ve also heard that this sound eventually dissapears after around 6k miles.I have been worried ever sinceistarted hearing that sound and i've been taking it easy on the car; hardly even experience the power ofthe 2.0T engine. Anytakes on this issue will be greatly appreciated!

Old 09-21-2007, 09:16 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: DSG rattle

If the car is new and under warranty, drive it like you want and just make sure you have the problem documented by the dealer. It's better to have it break while they have to pay for it.

Old 09-21-2007, 02:53 PM
2nd Gear

+1 drive it like you stole it. if it breaks it's there fault!

Old 11-19-2007, 11:16 AM

i've got a similar rattle... just below where the clutch engages first at around 2000 rpm... if i dont give it enough gas from idle to where the clutch engages it makes that rattle... i can only notice it when im waiting inline for fast-food and i can hear it off the side of the building =p

gonna have em check it out at my 15k

Old 11-20-2007, 09:38 PM
1st Gear

I also hear a slight rattle, but only sometimes at idle. I have had my A3 for about 6 months, but never really noticed until now, probably nothing. It's a DSG prem. Yours, however, sounds serious. How long was your break-in period? What was the mileage when you fisrt heard it?

Old 11-26-2007, 05:03 PM

Hi, this is my first reply to the forum although I have been following it for a year now. I've picked this topic to jumpin as I to have a rattle in my dsg gearbox and it has been getting worse.I have 18,600 mile(29,000 km) on the car and I believe that the rattle has been with the car for about 7 months though very subtle. As it has gotten louder and certainly noticeable on idle, I took the car to my Audi dealer and they thought the noiseto be near the flywheel.Another thing that may be related is sometimes when drivingon the highway and giving the car some stick I get a strange smell (kind of ammonia like) through the car. Of course I am now thinking that this is related to my gearbox noise. I have been told that this maybe some fluid burn due to the kick in of high revs to the gearbox and clutch. Perhaps this is true. If any one else has come across this orwith any thoughts on the matter I would love to hear from you.