Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

ECU reset

Old 08-03-2007, 08:41 PM
1st Gear
Default ECU reset

I did the ECU reset today (DSG transmission) and thought I'd share some things I noticed with everyone. I think it's particularly helpful after break-in.

I've got 1800 miles on the odo. I realized that, due to my grandma driving during the break-in, my computer had learned that I'm a sissy behind the wheel.

I was right. After the reset, my throttle is much more responsive, especially in the lower gears. There's a lot more power on tap and it seems more confident in its gearing selections. There's no more hesitation and pausing.

So, here's wha' happened:

ECU reset is simple, just disconnect the battery (negative, then postitive) and let it rest for 5 minutes. I made sure to leave the hood open just in case the remote didn't work. Reconnect the battery (positive, then negative). That's it.

Some things to note: [ul][*]You'll lose the info in the trip computer and your distance to empty will be a little off until you get some miles on it[*]the clock will need to be reset[*]the radio will still work, no codes are needed[*]you'll get a warning that there's an ESP fault and a yellow light. just drive the car a little and it will go away (it's in the manual. this is normal after the battery has been disconnected)[*]the one-touch windows feature won't work right UNTIL you roll them down all the way and roll them back up. Then you'll have one-touch function again.[*]My steering seems a bit tighter, but that might just be the placebo effect.[/ul]That's all I've noticed that threw me off. This is definitely worth doing, especially after break-in, to get the car to respond the way you want it to.

peaceout

Old 08-03-2007, 10:58 PM
Default RE: ECU reset

Sounds great, but, you let your Grandma drive your car??? [sm=WTFsgign.gif]

Don't do that again or we will gang up on you and take away your keys!

Cheers!

Old 08-03-2007, 11:05 PM
1st Gear

what, what? oh, i became my grandma. uh, nevermind.

I WAS DRIVING SLOW

Old 08-03-2007, 11:07 PM

LOL

I was hoping that the grandma driving was actually your grandma, and not your lack of over-enthusiasm. You're definitely a better man than me for holding out on total throttle usage from day 1.

Cheers!

Old 08-04-2007, 11:45 AM
1st Gear

This technique definitely works. I had the same experience.

Old 08-04-2007, 03:14 PM
1st Gear

is this the only way to do it ?
can you just start driving agressively and they will adapt to the new driving style?

Old 08-13-2007, 04:55 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: rollyfoster
[ul][*]you'll get a warning that there's an ESP fault and a yellow light. just drive the car a little and it will go away (it's in the manual. this is normal after the battery has been disconnected)[/ul]
Wish I had read this a few months ago! First "mod" (if you can call it that) that I did to my A3 was swapping out the wiper stalk and enabling the trip computer (did a boost gauge at the same time). Anyway, to replace the wiper stalk, you have to remove the airbag (talk about a tense moment), the steering wheel, and various other components in the steering column. After I got everything buttoned up and took it for a spin, I got the ESP error and I was FREAKING OUT! I thought I had just screwed something up hard on my new A3 with <1000k on the odo. It did go away though the next time I started it up.

Anyway, good to know for any other noobs out there.