Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Engine Light Went On

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2006, 11:29 AM
1st Gear
Default Engine Light Went On

Well, the little yellow engine light went on last night while I was driving back from a wedding in NJ. Of course the 300 page manual has nothing on this, only everything else~

Did some searching but could not find any real solid info, other than I should probably take it to the dealer and have them check it out. It should be covered so I am not too worried however wondered if anyone had any thoughts on the potential issues this could represent. I drove it all the way home, so I am sure it is probably a sensor or something. Anyway, thanks in advance for any advice...cheers.

Old 11-05-2006, 12:20 PM
Default RE: Engine Light Went On

Ye Olde Check Engine Light

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...l%3Den%26lr%3D

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/E279B9E41B14451B960F473D15402505.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-05-2006, 12:25 PM
2nd Gear

The MAF is probably getting hot ! Do you have any mods to your engine ie CAI, Exhaust ?

Old 11-05-2006, 12:51 PM
3rd Gear

Need to get your codes scanned. If it's a new vehicle, it's probably covered under your warranty. Without the codes, it's impossible to tell what may be wrong.

Old 11-05-2006, 02:36 PM
1st Gear

{The MAF is probably getting hot ! Do you have any mods to your engine ie CAI, Exhaust ? }

It does have an APR exhaust on it but other than that it is stock. What do you mean by MAF? Not quite familiar with the acronyms yet..

{Need to get your codes scanned. If it's a new vehicle, it's probably covered under your warranty. Without the codes, it's impossible to tell what may be wrong.}

Yes it is under full warranty, I figured I would give the dealer a call on Monday to see if they could help me out. Nothing really feels wrong with it. I threw a little oil in there just in case. It says to change the oil every 5k however I am one of those max 3k people, at least with my other cars, I feel like I am better safe than sorry.

Thanks again for the help....

Old 11-05-2006, 02:41 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: avant80@2.6

Ye Olde Check Engine Light

http://images.google.co.uk/imgres?im...l%3Den%26lr%3D

[IMG]local://upfiles/12092/E279B9E41B14451B960F473D15402505.jpg[/IMG]

Thanks that is helpful info as well. I do have it covered by the warranty however even though I would not be charged, it could save a lot of time (i.e. money) by buying one of these diagnostic tools. I enjoy working and getting to know my car better anyway! For this first run threough, I will most likely take it to the dealer to see what they have to say. If it persists I will definitely be going in this direction so I can diagnose myself. Much appreciated....Jon

Old 11-05-2006, 03:25 PM
2nd Gear

MAF = Mass air flow sensor, i have the APR chip and CAI. , GHL exhaust.
The APR chip works better with the the APR exhaust, so after mine was installed i had my light come on, the apr guy told me not to worry, and my salesman who is a big mod guy told me the same thing. The dealer in your case just has to hook up your car's computer and check to make sure everything is fine since your engine is still stock. Best bet bring it to your dealer.

Old 11-05-2006, 05:29 PM

If you have an after-market exhaust, that might throw a CEL if you haven't gotten the ECU upgraded.

I wouldn't expect that it was a MAF failure without any mods like a CAI on that new of a car.

Cheers!

Old 11-05-2006, 06:08 PM
2nd Gear

^ What Chef said

After having the APR exhaust installed on mine I got a few check engine lights too. You'll need to get flashed in order to get rid of them since the apr exhaust deletes one of the cats on the downpipe.

Old 11-06-2006, 11:48 AM
1st Gear

Right on, that makes sense. I appreciate the help, I am going to be contacting the dealer I figure until then it should not be a big deal to drive normally. If you think it will makes things worse, let me know....I'll follow up when I have figured it all out. It is always nice to have closure on a thread especially if future owners have any similar problems! Thanks again, Jon

Quick Reply: Engine Light Went On