Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Engine Problems.. Help Please??!!

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2006, 10:02 AM
Default Engine Problems.. Help Please??!!

Hi Folks,
New member here, i had a good look around and i'm liking the site.
I'm having trouble with my car lately... anyone have any idea whats wrong with it. I havent a clue!
Its a 00 Audi A3 5 dr 1.6L
Basically the problem is very intermittant and is composed of two main problems.
1. When i turn the key to start her up sometimes the engine won't engage, it makes the usual whining sound but the engine just doesn't kick in. After a few goes it always starts but i understand that this can be bad for the starter motor.
2. While driving, sometimes the throttle takes on a life of its own. I could be driving along and going from 2nd to 3rd or 3rd to 4th gears and the throttle just gets stuck at about 3000 revs! I have to pull in to the hard shoulder straight away. When the car is stopped and in neutral and my feet are completely off the accelerator the engine is still roaring away at 3000 - 400 revs. and sometimes it keeps rising slowly.
Scary stuff eh! I've put her into a local garage and he found no fault but i'm bringing her back at the weekend. I'm just afraid he won't be able to duplicate the fault and therefore not be able to fix it.

Sorry for the long-winded post!
Any advice??
Doccy

Old 03-16-2006, 01:03 AM
Default RE: Engine Problems.. Help Please??!!

It might not have the drive by wire throttle and has the mechanical linkage that is sticking. When you start it it gets flooded and when running gets stuck open.

Old 03-16-2006, 07:01 AM
Default RE: Engine Problems.. Help Please??!!

That sounds logical enough for me. The car seems to less responsive when accelerator is pressed.. this could be a sticky throttle too. I'll pass this on to my mechanic so he can have a good look. I hope it won't mean having to buy parts... hopefully it'll just mean stripping down the throttle casing and cleaning / lubing??? I'll keep ye posted after the weekend to see if that works. Fingers crossed!! I'm off to get drunk for 4 days. Happy St. Patricks day everyone!!