Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.
View Poll Results: A poll
2003-2005 Lancer Evolution
33.85%
2006 Audi A3 2.0T
66.15%
Voters: 65. You may not vote on this poll

EVO or A3

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2007, 02:00 AM
1st Gear
Default EVO or A3

I know that both cars are in complete different class. However if they were with-in the same price range of 22k-25k, which would you pick up. I own a WRX right now, comftorable with it, wish for a little more power but not really feeling the cheap looking interior. A little more space would be nice as well. I love the Audi A3 exterior and interior but not the fact that itsFWD. I love theEVOS brembro, exterior, AWD and power, but I'm not sure if I wishto go back to something similar tomy WRX. So I would just like to get some of your opinions.

Comparison
2006 A3 2.0T with DSG
Sport package
Bose
Xeon

2003-2005 EVO
Regular package

Old 05-15-2007, 02:47 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: EVO or A3

Personally, I like enough performance where driving is fun and doesn't get in the way (like when you're in a wimpy car and can't merge on the highway worth beans). After a certain level of performance (which the A3 reaches and then some), it's all about comfort and styling for me. With the EVO, you have ridiculous performance, but unless you're a street racer, how often do you actually get to utilize that performance? Are you screaming around the turns to the grocery store? Flooring the gas in rush hour traffic? Even in my A3, I don't push it that often, because I paid a lot of money for that car and I don't want to wear it out like I did my Accord. I love the styling of my A3 - everything feels like it's in just the right place. More importantly, the ladies love it too To most women, a guy with an EVO is like the auto equivalent of a guy with a custom-built computer - a car nerd.

Old 05-15-2007, 02:58 AM
1st Gear

^ nice input, I agree on the fact that its all about womens, ( A3 do appeal to women more then men) and the EVO just does not meet thosestandards. However the evo makes up with AWD, Brembro, Recaros. I really don't like those A3 seats, anychance of swapping them out with Recars or Bride, has anyone attempt or done so? I also agree on the fact that car with such high performance are never put to use to their full potential. Seeing that I live in Los Angeles the majority oftime i spend sitting in traffic. Good point.Anyone experince theft?

Old 05-15-2007, 03:20 AM
1st Gear

You have to decide which appeals to you more. With everyday driving the A3 has really good mileage 25/32 EPA with a peppy engine at low RPM's, compared to the high performance EVO with 19/26 EPA. For me the A3's interior and style/appearance is far superior. You see a older EVO in the lot and it looks cheap.

Old 05-15-2007, 04:02 AM
SoCal Crew Member

the A3 is much more classy than the Evo. you'll be attracting the high school and college girls with the Evo, but you'll attract the finer and sophisticated women with the A3. I agree with Tonicboy

Old 05-15-2007, 04:24 AM

EVO is nice but value for your buck I would go for the A3 and its a 2006 + it will hold its value better and easier to move on

Old 05-15-2007, 08:07 AM
1st Gear

Well, you are not kidding that they are 2 different cars. I happen to own both, so I may be able to shed some light on this subject for you. Let me start off by saying that I love both cars, but for entirely different reasons.
A3: Pros: -Awesome Audi fit and finish
- Great for longer type trips (excellent gas mileage, very comfortable ride quality)-soft suspension
- Great " bang for the buck" quality car
- decievingly quick car (very unassuming)
- Simply put, YOU ARE DRIVING AN AUDI!!!
Cons: - Let's see, Hmmmmm, still thinking, Oh, No that won't work.
- I guess, if you want a con about this car, I would say the "soft" suspension and annoying front wheel spin when you hit it harder.
(Remember though, My comparison is to the Evolution)

Lancer Evolution:
Pros:- Absolute Scorcher in the performance category!!!! This car will snap your neck and knock out your fillings if you hit hard enough.
- Race like suspension (very tight, very stiff suspension), and light weight design (about 3300 lbs) (My S4 was close to 4100 lbs)
- Brembo Big Brake kit, Bilstein struts, BBS alloy wheels!!!
- Allows you to have a Great time on track days.
- "BANG FOR THE BUCK" - I actually believe that the Evo is a better bang for the buck than the A3
- (Once again, for different reasons. You have more performance than an RS4 for crying out loud)
- Very Good AWD system with controllable active center differential for varying conditions
- Very cheap to modify; If that's your thing. (Many >500whp Evos on the street for under $3000 in mods)
- The Most fun car I've ever driven!!! I still have a smile on my face everytime I drive it!!!

Cons:
- Very cheap plastic interior. ( I guess you need to cut the cost somewhere)
- Gas mileage is almost as bad as my B6 S4. I can actually watch my tank emptying by just looking at the boost guage.
- High school racer look when driving around town (Don't go to PTA meetings with this car or you will get some funny looks)
- However, many Evo owners take off the big wing on the back and the car is less conspicuous.
- Oh, did I mention that Cops canspot this car from a different state.
- Mitsubishi warranty and service depts. are absolutely useless.
- Very high maitnence should be expected when you buy this car.
- THE MOST EXPENSIVE CAR TO INSURE IN THE US!!! (High performance, highly stolen)

All in all, I would say that the A3 is probably the best of both worlds. You get both comfort and performance; just not close to Evo performance. The A3 would be the my choice ifI was going to be driving the car everyday (as a daily driver). For some reason though, I ALWAYS find myself in my Evolution.
Check out some of my pictures in the galleryif you're interested:
http://corelineracing.com/research/index.php

Old 05-15-2007, 09:07 AM
1st Gear

Its all personal preference....

Im an A3 guy, just because AUDI has class......and performance...

A3 for me.....

Old 05-15-2007, 09:50 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: wrx112

I know that both cars are in complete different class.
Well, that is the problem now, isn't it?I looked at the STI before the A3 and I could not see myself picking up a client (although it is rare in my case) with the STI. My boyish side would have been very pleased, actually, I am still looking at it sideways because of the price/performace and the AWD... Damn you Audi - no A3 2.0T Quattro! But anyway, as an all around car, the A3 does fit the bill better than the Evo, if you are looking for thrills, there is no contest, you go for the Evo. My money right now is on the A3.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:02 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: wrx112

However the evo makes up with AWD, Brembro, Recaros. I really don't like those A3 seats, anychance of swapping them out with Recars or Bride, has anyone attempt or done so?
You can buy the 3.2 and get AWD. And yes, someone on Audiworld have Bride put in. But IMO, they are no where as comfortable as stock. They do give a lot more support if you are on the track though.