Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Guys (maybe Gals too)... I need help

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 10:25 PM
1st Gear
Default Guys (maybe Gals too)... I need help

So, I'm nearing getting an A3. I already have one lined up, and just need to do some background work before I get ready to ink things and hand over my debit & credit cards...

I have to trade a car in and I have the following problem (in quotes below)... I tried posting it in a mechanic forum, but 45 views later, nobody wanted to help me

"So, I heard a loose noise in the front left of my car. Thought it might be a strut, or the clutch because sometimes it vibrated when I clutched into gear... Anyways, the mechanics I took it to tell me they think it's my motor mounts... so they change the motor mounts, and now the noise is even worse, and my steering wheel is cocked 15 degrees to the left. So, 400 dollars later, I'm looking to trade in my car soon, and my car is now effectively worse for a trade in-- alignment is off, noise is worse....

Guys, I need advice... what do I do? Spend more money to get it fixed, or get ripped off on a trade in because my alignment is bad and there's a bad noise in my front strut? If I get it fixed, should I just do the strut, or just do the alignment?"

Thanks for anyone who gives this the time of day!

Old 03-17-2007, 11:07 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Guys (maybe Gals too)... I need help

Hi gaffnova-

What is the make, model, year, mileage, and general condition of the car you might trade? If it's a 1982 Chevrolet Citation beater, you should save it for a "commuter / mall" car to prevent door dings at commuter train stations or shopping lots. If it is a later-model car, it might be worth a modest investment to get the greatest value on trade.

~ Blue Jays ~

Old 03-17-2007, 11:23 PM
1st Gear

It's a '99 Mazda Protege ES with 107,000 miles in FAIR condition, because of the current mechanical issues and a few cosmetic blemishes. Trade-in is around $2000 for this car in fair condition, while I could probably get a $1000 or so more by selling it privately-- although that would be tough with this situation as well. .

Problem is-- I'm younger. While I make decent money, I can't afford the two cars' insurance, not to mention that I've factored in having $2000 to be able to afford the A3. Essentially, I have to get rid of it... So, that leaves me with the question I'm asking. Spend and fix (delay my car purchase a bit), or lose on the trade (put 500-1000 extra on my credit card).

Old 03-17-2007, 11:48 PM
1st Gear

You need to know how much the dealer will give you in its current condition. It sounds like $2000 is the number you want. If the dealer gives you $1800 in current condition, it does not make sense to spend $400 to recover a $200 shortfall.

For about a $25 advertising fee, I would try to sell it privately and see if you can do better than $2000 from the dealer. Even ifyouget $2200, you are ahead of the game. This is true unless, as in my state, you pay taxes on the purchase less trade in. Then you need to factor in the cost of the tax benefit lost because of theprivate sale.

Good Luck.

Old 03-18-2007, 11:06 AM
L7
1st Gear

Hi Gaffnova;
First off - have you tried taking the Mazda into carmax to see what they can offer?
Next - I noticed that you had mentioned using your credit card in some form or another for this transaction? Is that wise with the the low financing rates currently being afford by the dealerships and the banks?
And if you could squeeze out another 6 months or so out of the Mazda - wait until the fall. You'll be able to find better deals when the 2008 models start coming in and they want to get rid of the 2007s.

Old 03-18-2007, 01:24 PM
1st Gear

Hey, thanks for the input everyone. You guys are helpful.

L7-- I'm not sure if Carmax is around me... I am going to take it into a dealer around here that specializes in buying used cars and claims they get you the most for your trade in, so they would be a good start. And, I've thought about waiting, but I'm really tired of the Mazda I need me some German engineering, ya know?

And, yeah I agree about the credit card thing... I was just targeting a certain monthly payment, so the credit card would help me get there, and I'd likely be able to pay it off quickly.

Anyways, it looks like I'm probably going to forego getting the car fixed up at this point. To spend $500 dollars that will only net me as much or less on the trade-in value is really pointless...