Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Have APR chip, now need advice as what to do next

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2006, 09:52 PM
pbt
1st Gear
Default Have APR chip, now need advice as what to do next

Now that I have all that additional HP, what should follow. At this point I am not looking for more HP but to protect the engine and drive train

1) I have heard about a valve replacement. Is this due to additional boost and is it considered necessary?
2) Brake upgrade. Are the factory brakes adaquate for the additional HP or should they be upgraded.
3) What other items are considered wise to protect engine and drive train

Your assistance and advice will be appreciated.

2007 A3 2.0T, Ocean Blue with DSL ...... I love this car. Its been a long time since any car has been this much fun
Bring Us The 2.0 T Quattro

Old 12-16-2006, 10:33 PM
Default RE: Have APR chip, now need advice as what to do next

Now that I have all that additional HP, what should follow. At this point I am not looking for more HP but to protect the engine and drive train

1) I have heard about a valve replacement. Is this due to additional boost and is it considered necessary?
2) Brake upgrade. Are the factory brakes adaquate for the additional HP or should they be upgraded.
3) What other items are considered wise to protect engine and drive train
1) The "B" type DV was used on the 2006 A3 and is weaker than the "C" DV replacement now being used on the 2007 A3, so no worries for you until they get an even better replacement.
2) I think a brake upgrade would be nice, but not necessary unless you're doing a lot of track runs or drive very very fast and need the ability to stop quickly, like using your new found power to the extremes, like me
3) I just installed the stiffer transmission mount and I notice that the car doesn't shift weight any more between shifts under heavy load and the wheels are catching better and not spinning quite as much. The stiffer engine mounts are up on the list for me soon too. I think anything to aid in the turbo breathing, like a CAI, or the reductions of EGT with a higher flowing exhaust would be good. I suggest turning off the ESP if you are using max throttle to avoid the brakes clamping down on the wheel spin and wearing them out more quickly. Accelerate your oil changes to every 5k miles and use on the best synthetic oil. A boost gauge would be good to monitor the turbo better and have instant readings if something is going wrong. Definitely do the CV mod for the CCV as described in a post by A3Night. That should help maintain your boost pressure until a better part is manufactured.

That should be a good list to get you started. BTW, I don't think anything is really necessary on these engines with only a chip mod, but PM is always a good idea.

Cheers!

Old 12-16-2006, 10:42 PM
pbt
1st Gear
Default RE: Have APR chip, now need advice as what to do next

Thanks for your input and help. It is greatly appreciated.