Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

heat question

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2006, 08:56 PM
1st Gear
Default heat question

after driving my stock 2.0t even when i'm not having fun with it, the brakes and engine compartment become very very hot. the breaks are still hot after about 20 mins i discovered when washing my wheels steam started to arise from the well i was quite concerned. i've looked around a bit and would a new fender that gets more air to the brakes+slotted or drilled brakes help. maybe a hood scoop to help the engine?

Old 12-31-2006, 10:38 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: heat question

The engine bay will become hot because of the turbo. However, it usually stays really cool when your driving around so you really shouldn't worry about getting a ducted hood for that. I usually pull the hood release lever to allow it to vent out the heat whenever I park to allow the heat to escapefaster so I can protect my intake and whatever plastic items are under there.

I also wound't worry about the brakes. As long as you let them heat up and cool down gradduly you shouldn't worry. Of course, when washing the car, always be sure to let them cool down first. WOuldn't want to get warped rotors.

Old 12-31-2006, 10:40 PM

Hmmm...I hadn't noticed the brakes getting really hot on my car under normal driving, but the engine compartment does get quite warm. Stryker just posted that the Oettinger body kit shoots more air up into the engine bay, and I'm sure that a slotted or drilled big brake kit will help keep those a little cooler. We're talking a few g's in just those mods. Personally, I wouldn't worry a lot about it, unless you have brake problems, then it's off to the stealership for warranty work.

Cheers!

Old 01-01-2007, 04:07 PM
1st Gear

yea i was thinkin about those mods i saw till i saw the prices, thanks for the tips guys

Old 01-02-2007, 12:53 AM
2nd Gear

As long as your radiator fan is working you shouldn't have to worry about your engine bay getting too hot, especially if your temperature gauge to the engine is about in the middle. after you running her a little and shutting her off, the fan will kick in to cool her down for you, regarding the brakes they dont have fan but will cool in time , like A3night says dont wash your car right after you run her cause there is a small chance you can warp the metal (rotors). If you wanna take it a step further you dont have to get the Oettinger kit you can just drill holes in your frt bumper scoops next to the fog lights, just becareful cause there is a cable to the fog light that powers it, that will just get cooler air to the bottom of your engine and tranny, those scoops aren't designed to divert the air upwards.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:29 AM
1st Gear

I was looking at the black out plastic around the fogs. I'm wondering what's behind them and if opening them up would provide either engine or front rotor cooling.

Old 01-02-2007, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Bezor

I was looking at the black out plastic around the fogs. I'm wondering what's behind them and if opening them up would provide either engine or front rotor cooling.
Not front rotor cooling, maybe a little engine cooling is possible, don't know if it is worth it.

Old 01-02-2007, 07:58 PM
2nd Gear

On either side behind the foglights you have the horns (beep beep) on the passenger side next to the horn you have the wind shield washer fluid tank, nothing major if your thinking of drilling some holes thru there. If your a pretty handy guy get yourself one of those dremmel tools and cut out the plastic next to the fog lights and install some mesh, and post your home made mod on our site.

Old 01-07-2007, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

you think the 2.0L is warm?!?!?...try the 3.2L!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!...and yes. My brakes cool extremely slowly when the car isn't moving. I still get 'steam' if I clean it 20 min. after I stop. My friend's R32 was still warm after 30 min....if you hear a loud 'pop' when you spray cold water on hot brakes, expect some rotor warpage.