Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

HELP A3 vs A4

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2007, 05:48 PM
2nd Gear
Default HELP A3 vs A4

Hi all, I am a recent college grad that is interested in either an 2007 A3 2.0 with the sport, cold weather, and open sky packages or an 2006 A4 avant fully loaded with about 8000 miles on it. I kept my scholarship through out college so my parents are going to be paying the majority of the cost. I know what you are thinking an 2006 A4 avant loaded is much more than an A# but I have extended family that can get me one at around 30,000 about the same the local Audi dealer would sell me the A3 as aforementioned. I have just started a great job in Washington DC, but I don’t expect to do too much city driving I will just take the metro into work the majority of the time. I have some things I really like about each and some concerns about each. I really like the way the A3 drives especially with the DSG, how it looks and the gas mileage it gets. I am concerned about the lack of Quattro in the 2.0 model (b/c there is potential that I will get transferred to another office up north in a year or two), the reliability is also a concern I have read some horror stories about some unreliable A3’s, finally I am concerned about the resale value which I have heard is not as good as the A4. In terms of the A4 Avant I like the fact that it will be better equipped, have Quattro, have a better resale value and how it has more room for stuff. But I am concerned about its size when I am driving in the city, how it has worse gas mileage, the lack of DSG and how it won’t be as sporty as an A3. I have to admit I haven’t driven an A4 avant yet but I have to assume it can’t be as sporty as the A3. I would really appreciate any advice/ suggestions you could give me.

Thanks Again!

Old 04-11-2007, 06:59 PM
Default RE: HELP A3 vs A4

i was in your same shoes and i ended up with an A3. i don't really regret it. i would have liked the quattro, but i would only use it 3-4 times a year to go snowboarding (usually we take my bro's 4x4 F-150). Some A3ers that live in the northeast just mount winter tires, that should do it.
i thought about the A4 because i have a large dog (husky great dane mic, quite a sight), but the a3 works just fine with either the seat folded down or not (plus the issue was height, not really space). there is plenty of space in the A3 for daily hauling.
i had a passat with the triptronic (like in the a4) and now have the dsg. no comparrison. the dsg is just so quick and so much fun. If you get the A4, you might want the manual, in my opinion.
One thing i noticed about the a3 with open sky is that there isn't a whole lot of head room. i'm 6'3" and my head almost touches.
The a3 is funny, zippy and draws a lot of attention (it's just different).

Old 04-12-2007, 04:26 AM
1st Gear

Keep in mind that Front Wheel Drive generally makes it easier to drive on slippery roads. It's not as good as 4WD but considerably better than any RWD car.

Old 04-12-2007, 08:40 AM
L7
1st Gear

If this is going to be your first car out of college - the resale value should not be a big concern. Your main concern should be: "can I afford this car?". If the answer is a 'yes', then go and test drive both and let your heart decide. Also - please share with us A3 owners where you have heard about the resale value with regards to A3's. As far as the reliability issue is concerned: if that is a #1 priority - then go with a Prius or Civic. Since you will not be relying on the car to get you into DC on a daily basis - and it will be under waranty - that's not too high a priority either. Now for weekend runs down 50 to OC or Bethany or even longer hauls down toOBX. (And of course beaches are on my mind - since it's getting warmer) - I could not recommend a better car for the price.

Old 04-12-2007, 01:23 PM
1st Gear

Knock on wood...maybe it's just the initial quality phase of A3 ownership (had it only 4 months now)...but so far I have had no problems and have fully enjoyed the A3. My previous car was a Subaru, and I had plenty of problems with it starting with the first 4 weeks. There have been some quirky things I'm not used to, like the clicking of my Quattro setting up, dash lights and climate control idiosyncracies, but nothing significant.

A majority of problems reported with the A3 so far are with the Open Sky screen or wind noise, fuel line vibration and crappy stock tires. I couldn't say it's any more or less reliable than an A4.

Old 04-12-2007, 03:48 PM

any tips on the open sky wind noise? it's a little loud once you get going over 40-50mph. my old passat and my bro's bmw are much quieter when "open". i think the reason is because the glass does non slide into the roof, but on top of it.
any tips or quick fixes?

[align=center] [/align]

Old 04-12-2007, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

Your dealership can made adjustments to the panels to mute the sound; it's been a pretty common issue. With it closed I start hearing wind noise around 50-55 and it gets loud around 65-70, but I'm pretty sure some noise is par for the course. It's going to be loud when completely open, no matter what.

Do you have thefactory roof bars, per chance? If so, they're 95% of your problem...those things are obnoxious at highway speeds.

Old 04-12-2007, 04:40 PM

no factory bars, i had some yakima ones on for a couple of weeks and the noise was just unbearable. funny thing the bars made more noise when "naked" then with the snowboard attachments on.
is the open sky fix costly, or free? is the dealer willing to do it, or will it be a hard fight?

Old 04-12-2007, 04:59 PM
1st Gear

https://www.audiforums.com/recalls-a...d_0601/TSB.htm

should help...though not sure if it applies if you have a 2007. It should be covered by warranty.

Old 04-13-2007, 12:34 AM
1st Gear

I've had my A3 for just over a year now. Ive brought it to the shop about 6 times not including the regular servicing (oil change, tune up..) and the last 2 visits were tow-ins. Injector leaks led to burning engine oil causing mis-fires and oil from exhaust pipe.
Although I have many "little" annoying problems, I can honestly say I truly enjoy driving my A3. It handles well, looks great internally (dash, open sky..) as well as externally ( Lava Grey), and gives me the power I need (2.0T) when I need it. I just love driving it. I also own an A4 and the 2 are completely different in driving experience. A4 is more "heavy and sturdy but yet drives very smooth" especially on a long distance trip while the A3 is "Quick, light and very agile". Very Fun to drive!
You should test drive it for yourself because we all drive differently and at the end, you're the one who takes it home.
Good luck.