Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Help, urgent major mechanical problem

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:10 PM
1st Gear
Default Help, urgent major mechanical problem

I bought a second 2006 A3 a few months ago. It has the 2.0T engine and needed an oil change which I have performed on my other twin. Today, I had a hard time removing the filter canister, thought I might have heard a "crack" when removing. I inspected canister and receiver could not see anything. I finished the oil change and started the car, there was a "ticking noise" for a couple of seconds, then I heard a "splash" and shut down the car within 10 seconds of starting. When I got out there appeared to be the entire oil volume on the ground and dripping from the area around the top of the canister. There was so much oil I could not see anything well, I wiped off the oil and removed the skirt, but am waiting a bit before I remove the canister because there is so much oil dripping. I wonder if there was a crack in the canister or the "receiver" for the canister and filter? If so, what is this part, can I replace it or is it a dealer item. I am afraid this is a very bad outcome. Any help, advice and pictures would be greatly appreciated. What is the receiver made of and how is it attached? Any idea of cost??? Thanks again.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:58 PM
1st Gear

I was able to clean and drain all the oil off and remove the filter and canister. The filter was just over 2mm longer than my previous filter, I suspect this caused the some cross threading and it blew the canister back enough to let oil escape. I had saved the old filter and was able to compare. I went to the parts department and obtained an identical filter, installed it and there is no problem. I should have been more observant about the new filter. Lesson learned. I also would suggest that you place the filter on the receiver first, then place the canister over the top of it once you are certain that the filter fits perfectly over the receiver. My mistake to assume it was ok, don't make that same mistake.

Old 08-24-2012, 02:36 AM
1st Gear

ecs sells an aluminium filter housing --- might be worth it in the long run

Old 08-24-2012, 05:54 PM
1st Gear

Turned out to be the wrong filter, long by a couple of mm and I probably cross threaded it trying to get it in place. I was able to clean all the mess and redo the oil/filter change with the appropriate filter. Worked like a charm. I can't help but agree with you, it seems that a part of this importance made from cheap plastic is just inviting trouble. I think I would be much more comfortable with an aluminum housing. Thanks for the suggestion.