Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

How I shopped around for my A3

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2006, 02:54 PM
1st Gear
Default How I shopped around for my A3

I started shopping this past July of 06' for my A3.

Here is what I wanted. 2006 A3 2.0T with Premium/Open Sky/DSG Auto.

My price was $28,000 and change, the most, and I wasnt budging.

Went to Paul Miller Audi in Parsippany, NJ twice while I was shopping for my A3.
The first time, this Russian sales guy tried selling me an A3 that I didnt want.
I told him specifically what I wanted, since he didnt have it in stock he tried pushing another vehicle. A cloth seated, standard 2006 A3 sitting in the lot. It was nice, but I needed my options.
He was giving it to me for cost price, which was not bad, but still not what I wanted.
He pushed this vehicle way to much on me and I finally just said, "this is not what I want buddy"

Also, brought my girlfriend with me and this guy couldnt get his eyes off her.
Instead of looking at me when talking, he would look at her.
I found that pretty ammusing actually, haha.
But this dude was not professional, so I took off.

The 2nd time I went back to this dealer was about 1 month later in Aug, just to see what they had in stock.
I went alone and decided to stroll in the show-room, waiting for someone to come up to me.
Salesmen all over the place, but nobody approached me. There was an older couple who quickly got help, but not me. I am a bit young looking, and I think that was mainly the reason, they didnt think I was serious I guess.

As I further searched for my perfect A3 in the Summer months, which was now approaching Fall,
I found that most dealership's didnt have any 06's left. So, off to Riverside Audi in North Bergen, NJ I went. I thought this place would give me the deal I was looking for, but un-successful here as well. Sat down with some up tight sales guy who wouldnt budge on the price at all. I was looking for my A3 2.0T with premium and open sky/DSG Auto. Black was my first choice color, Lave Grey my 2nd. He had one in Lava Grey, with premie/opensky/cold weather. Priced it out and it came to over $31,000, not including tax. He wouldnt budge on the extra $450 on the pearl paint effect and the cold weather. So, I got out of there also. Funny thing is, while I was leaving, get this guys.......he told me to look into the VW GTI.

Off to another dealer I go. Took a ride to DHC in Maplewood, NJ
Salesguy was friendly here, had what I was looking for. Black/Black with Premie and Opensky.
It was still in transit and arriving in 4 weeks. (hint hint: this was the car I bought, but not here
But he also wouldnt budge on the price much, got him down lower then the Riverside Audi dealer, but still not good enough. He also wouldnt let me test drive the vehicle, said next time I return.
That totally made me leave and say Goodbye.

So, the next day on my lunch break, we are now at the end of Sept, I headed to Bernardsville Audi.
And here I bough my A3 I wanted.
After a little negotiating, I got the price I wanted and the APR was awesome.
Same car that the last dealer, Maplewood Audi, had in transit.
So, the car is now headed to Bernardsville Audi soon and then to ME!!!
Sales guy was very cool, laid back and took me serious.

So far, hats off toBernardsville Audi!!!.
Still awaiting the car, about 3-4weeks away. We'll see how everything else works out at Bernardsville during the waiting for my A3. But the sale was a nice experience.

2007 Audi A3 2.0T
Black/Black
Premium/Open Sky/S-Tronic Auto

Old 09-29-2006, 04:27 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: How I shopped around for my A3

Sounds like my experience but mine was faster...

Went to commonwealth audi, test drove. Next day, went to mission viejo and signed papers for 28,000 + TTL only (no fees) for a 06 A3 Sport, Open Sky, and DSG.

All the best to you and congrats on your purcahse

Old 09-30-2006, 02:42 AM
2nd Gear

Went to Newport for the test drive, Mission Viejo to negotiate, Pacific Audi to buy.

The sales guy at the Newport was a complete and total tool.
I explained to him what I wanted to buy (not what I test drove) and that I was ready to sign if he found what I was looking for.
Never heard back from him. Called him back again before I decided to turn into a ***** and shop every dealership in Orange County for a deal.
Dumb **** said that he would check the system and call me back.....NEVER CALLED BACK.

Went to Mission Viejo and had them check, they had one that was close on their lot and pushed really hard to move it.
They wouldn't give me a better deal on a car that was in their system.
I called Pacific Audi and talked to Mike Smuck. He gave me the deal I wanted and I drove in and signed the papers.

Turns out, the car was sitting on the lot at Keyes in Van Nuys all along.

The Newport guy didn't wanna' work for the deal.
MV Audi was more interested in moving their stock instead of making a sale, and Pacific Audi jumped at the chance to take it down.

***And CONGRATS dcny7777 on getting the car you wanted ! ! !

Old 10-02-2006, 07:36 PM

Did you ever ask any of the dealers to do a dealer car swap?

When I bought mine I emailed a few audi dealerships, 2 here in columbus and one in cleveland. I went up to cleveland one weekend visiting the inlaws and test drove an 06 black dsg/prem/opensky/cold and they had a moro blue in the showroom, which is what I originally wanted. That one had the same as the black, but xenon/navigation and something else. I told the guy I was up there for a bday part so didnt have time to do numbers, but they did look at the car we were going to trade in. (Full of wrapped bday gifts in the back, so he had to know I wasnt lying). I told him to email me the numbers and I would work with him. Well monday came and almost went when I called asking for numbers but he was gone for the day. The next day he emailed me some numbers then emailed me again a little while later saying he sold those cars.

He then emailed me listings of cars that met my requirements in the midwest (all the big 10 states). His numbers were still about 2k more than I wanted to spend plus they didnt want to give me much for the trade in (My wifes 02 beetle). I then went to MAG (Midwestern Auto Group) random walkin day wearing flip flops shorts and a Alien Workshop shirt (skateboard maker). I got help pretty quick but those sales guys there are usually pretty good, while talking to them the guy who sold me my wifes car walked by me and even remember my name, from 2 years ago. I felt bad not asking for him first but I figured turnover in car sales was big so didnt think he'd still be there. The gave me a quick number which was about 200bucks more than I had written down before shopping (so i negotiated another 200 ).

I did all this negotiation on a car they didnt even have. The original car I was suppose to get was up in toledo, but that dealership sold it out from underneath them, which they didnt know till the driver showed up to pick it up. So they ended up locating another one in Minnesota, which they had to me within 24hours of my original pick up day. I got an 06 lava grey/prem/open/cold for 28600 before trade in back mid aug. The car had 20miles on it when it was delivered.

So if you find a dealership you like remember they can and will swap with other dealerships.

I love this car, my only problem has been the rear screen for the open sky, it wouldnt stay shut so they just replaced the latch last weekend.

Old 10-06-2006, 03:43 AM
lou
1st Gear

hey dcny. i was just benardsville last week and test drove the a3. the salesman was an older guy named steve brown. very nice guy. before going to benardsville i visited audi in manhatan and rahway nj. in nyc, i knew more about the car than the salesman and he told i would never find the car i was looking for. i left. in rahway, they had none in stock and the salesman didnt seem eager to sell a car. i left. so this takes me benardsville. i went with my wife. the salesman told he could me the car i wanted(2007,2.0T,automatic,s-line and open sky). he said it was in upstate ny. he said it would be driven. i wasnt interested in someone else driving my car 150 miles. he said that he can order the car i wanted, but it would take 2 months. the price he offered was $29800. i didnt haggle because i wasnt ready to buy at that moment. do you think i v=can get this car for $2900 even? how low should i go? thanks.