Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

How much did u pay for installation/alignment on coils?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2008, 03:22 PM
1st Gear
Default How much did u pay for installation/alignment on coils?

I'm getting my stasis coils and having them installed and aligned. They quoted me $250 on installation and $150 on alignment. Does this sound fair to u guys? I thought 150 is a bit too much for alignment.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:01 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: How much did u pay for installation/alignment on coils?

The install takes 3 1/2 hours for a decent shop. Figure their shop rate, do the math. Around here it averages about $95 an hour. $250 seems pretty low, unless their shop rate is $60 an hour.

Same for an alignment, except it shouldn't take more than an hour, and you should wait a couple weeks before you have it done. The alignment should also include corner weighting, and it should take the drivers weight into allowance by loading weights into the drivers seat to match your own. That will take the second hour. So, the same shop should charge about $120 for that if the $60/hr figure is correct.

Sounds like they lowballed the install, and jacked the alignment. Questionable practice.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:10 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the reply! It was really helpful. Thumbs up
I guess I'm just gonna take your advise and have them installed first then wait couple weeks for the alignment.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:06 PM
1st Gear

steven where are you from? The alignment shop I got to charges $50. If it's a laser job that alot of shops are pitching now, it'll be more. Whatever. Install sounds about right but I've seen as long as $150-200.

Old 06-02-2008, 07:12 PM
1st Gear

I'm from OC California
I see you're from LA. May I ask which shop u went to?

Old 06-02-2008, 08:32 PM

I had mine done in a shop in Signal Hill that was awesome, Ef1Motorsports. It cost just under $300 and they got a bolt that I was missing in the kit that needed replaced and told me to wait a few weeks before coming back to do the alignment. It was super easy to make the alignment appointment with him and it was done on premise. Totally clean shop that had a lot more beautiful cars than mine, but they still treat mine like it was a Ferrari. Great shop. Themanager/owner is an Italian guy, but I don't remember his name. Good luck!

Cheers!

Old 06-03-2008, 12:05 AM
1st Gear

thanks for the tip Chef!!
The shop i'm going is eurocode.
They should be alright, yea?

Old 06-03-2008, 12:31 AM

Steven, your quotes are less than the offer I am considering, 300/170, but the offer I am considering is at the dealer. Another offer I have is 200/150 from another shop.

Not to jack your post Steven, I have a couple questions to ask, tia.

Why wait for the alignment? Both shops I have talked to said to have the alignment done with the install. Does settling have that much effect on alignment?

Old 06-03-2008, 03:31 AM
1st Gear

well... cus the coils need to get used to the car too, according to other knowledgeable folks. takes couple of weeks for them to settle into their positions.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:30 AM
1st Gear

Azocean,

Definitely wait a couple of weeks before you get the alignment. The car needs to settle into the springs before the wheels can be aligned. A couple of weeks of misalignment while the springs settles is a whole lot better than chewing through your tires really quickly!! The shop may just want to collect its cash on the spot...probably a lot of people don't come back to do the alignment. (Which is essential!)

Think of it this way...if they are using lasers to be super precise these days..imagine how a few tenths of an inch would throw all that precision out the window!

Quick Reply: How much did u pay for installation/alignment on coils?