Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

I need a SOLID iPod answer please.

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-2007, 05:56 PM
1st Gear
Default I need a SOLID iPod answer please.

Hi, I just picked up my Audi A3 from the dealership yesterday so I am new to the forums. I have been reading several related posts for over an hour now an I just can't find the exact answer I am looking for.

Please only respond if you have a SOLID answer backed with experience, there seems to be a lot of people here who just respond to anything with no real answers.

QUESTION: I have the Bose System with Navigation, Sirius Sat Radio, and the Glove Box 6-Disc CD Changer. How do I connect my iPod so that the iPod menus appear on the Navigation/Radio LCD and the iPod is controlled through the steering wheel? Is it possible? What is the best way? I know Audio sells an integration kit for $170.50 but from what I understand, through info on these forums, is that it's not so great.

Please let me know!

Thanks.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:28 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: I need a SOLID iPod answer please.

ORIGINAL: elpedro

QUESTION: I have the Bose System with Navigation, Sirius Sat Radio, and the Glove Box 6-Disc CD Changer. How do I connect my iPod so that the iPod menus appear on the Navigation/Radio LCD and the iPod is controlled through the steering wheel? Is it possible? What is the best way? I know Audio sells an integration kit for $170.50 but from what I understand, through info on these forums, is that it's not so great.
There is no kit, OEM or aftermarket, that will display the iPod menus on your LCD. Control through your steering wheel, yes. I haven't seen a kit that doesn't let you control with your steering wheel, since the steering wheel controls are just controlling the head unit... the head unit controls the iPod... if that makes sense. The kit that Audi sells is no better than the aftermarket kits.

Old 12-18-2007, 09:18 PM
1st Gear

^ +1

All you will see on the Display is Track1 - Track99. You can create 5 (or is it 6)playlists on your iPod and those playlists will be read like discs in a cd changer.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:00 PM
1st Gear

The other half of the question was whether or not it is possible to install the iPod kit if I already have the 6-disc changer installed in the glove box?

Also: This is what is posted on the official Audi Accessories page:

"With the Audi iPod adapter, you'll enjoy superior sound because your iPod is wired directly into your Audi sound system. Experts agree direct wiring produces the best sound qualtity. Plug your iPod into the adaper and leave it safely in the glovebox. Then use your radio and steering wheel audio controls to access up to five playlists and your entire iPod library. You can switch between playlists, forward and rewind within playlists, even shuffle. All without taking your eyes off the road."

So can you or can you not access your whole library on the iPod? Can you put your whole library on shuffle?

Thanks again.

Old 12-18-2007, 11:59 PM
1st Gear

i have the dice unit available from enfig.com. it is hooked up using the cd changer plug in the glove box. i can skip/forward/rewind tracks from the headunit and steering wheel. the headunit thinks the ipod is a cd changer and the tracks appear as 1-99. playlists are changed via the ipod as i still have full control of it.

also, the unit also has an aux in for audio only on other digital music players.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:33 AM
1st Gear

So....

1. Is it possible to have the 6-Disc Changer AND the iPod Integration Kit?

2. If I plug in my iPod and have it shuffle my 60+GB, 7000 song library, will it play? Will i be able to skip ahead with the steering wheel?

3. What are my brand options? What are the EXACT differences between the Audi kit and the third party kits?

Old 12-19-2007, 10:45 AM
1st Gear

I don't think you can have both a CD changer and an Ipod connection. They both use the same input on your OEM stereo.

Old 12-19-2007, 10:56 AM
1st Gear

OK, "i think" is not a solid answer...

Can you or can you not have BOTH the CD-changer and the iPod Kit? Anyone?

Old 12-19-2007, 01:00 PM
1st Gear

OK, "i think" is not a solid answer...
Can you or can you not have BOTH the CD-changer and the iPod Kit? Anyone?
Considering that no one here is inside of your car looking at your exact stereo situation "I think" is probably a reasonable answer. It sounds like your best bet is to take your car down to a local car stereo shop and have someone look at it. I'm sure you'll get "SOLID" answers to all your questions and won't have to blast people that are trying to be helpful.

Old 12-19-2007, 02:14 PM
1st Gear

I have to agree with Izzy. Take it to a shop that you trust and feel comfortable with. Explore your options on the web, so you can ask informed questions. As far as I know, Denison (i think its them) make a kit that is the 400. There is a switch mounted somewhere accesible that allows you to switch between the changer and the Ipod. I'll look it up, but its not cheap.

Quick Reply: I need a SOLID iPod answer please.