Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Intermittent whining/squealing sound while driving AND ~10 seconds after turned off

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2012, 12:42 AM
1st Gear
Default Intermittent whining/squealing sound while driving AND ~10 seconds after turned off

Hey all,
I've been meaning to register for quite some time but now I actually NEED to because I need some help identifying a really aggravating issue. It's probably fairly common but here we go..

About a month ago, my 2008 A3 started whining. I can't think of any other way to put it. It wouldn't happen until the engine was warmed up a bit, but it was a constant, persistent high pitched squeal.

A few days - maybe 4 or 5 days later, I realized it had stopped.

A few MORE days, the same type of squeal came back, but this time it was intermittent. I've been trying to identify some sort of pattern (checking my speed, gear, rpms, etc..) but I cant. The only constants are the following:

Happens while driving - not idling (though the original "constant" noise was while idling as well).
Happens once, about 10 seconds after the engine has stopped.

I just recorded this little clip on my phone. Maybe it'll help?

I'm going to bring the car to the dealer since it's under warranty still, but it would be nice to go in having some sort of clue.

Here is the audio clip: Memo.m4a

Thanks!!!

Edit: Some more searching has made me wonder if it could be the alternator???
Side note - the car has had SOME issues lately starting if not used for a few days when I am taking the train to work.

Last edited by msisto; 01-03-2012 at 01:00 AM.
Old 01-03-2012, 09:53 AM
1st Gear

Its hard to tell from your audio recording, but it definitely sounds like a squeal. The fact that you experienced it a few seconds after shutting off the car makes me lean toward something electrical including the alternator. You most likely will not be able to diagnose the actual issue without have the dealer look at it since its under warranty.

Old 01-03-2012, 09:55 AM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by 2012TitaniumA3
Its hard to tell from your audio recording, but it definitely sounds like a squeal. The fact that you experienced it a few seconds after shutting off the car makes me lean toward something electrical including the alternator. You most likely will not be able to diagnose the actual issue without have the dealer look at it since its under warranty.
It is. I am going to call them today or tomorrow and set up a nice extended stay for my car at the shop. Needs regular maintenance anyhow. Fingers crossed.

Old 01-10-2012, 10:47 PM
1st Gear

Dealer called back today and let me know it was the air breather valve that needed replacing

Old 01-12-2012, 09:41 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by msisto
Dealer called back today and let me know it was the air breather valve that needed replacing
Interesting...breather valve for PCV, turbo? Sure sounded electrical to me.

Old 01-16-2012, 09:50 AM
1st Gear

its nice and very cool good stuff and good job lol.