B7 Models Please discuss all 2005.5 - 2008 B7 A4 topics here...

breaks squealing and driving me crazy!

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2009, 07:33 AM
Default breaks squealing and driving me crazy!

and totally embarrassing (still have the t-tag on). hey guys..brand new to this..just joined to find a few answers to some of the many questions that i have with my new pre-owned audi certified a4 2005.5 2.0t auto (quartz gray metallic and her names jamie!). the car was a christmas present for myself and i totally love the car but im getting loud squealing noises from my breaks (no idea which ones). i took it into the dealership and they told me that the pads were fine. the service department (winner audi) told me that its normal to be squealing? new pads wont make a difference and was told not to break so lightly but im not too sure if thats causing the noise cause when i do break hard it still squeals loud. they didnt do anything and i have no idea what to do! the factory warranty runs out mid this year (2 year certified warranty after that (but does not cover breaks)). so please help me out before its too late to do it under that!

and a few scratches on the glove compartment..is there anything i can use to get it out?

thanks!

Old 01-18-2009, 03:37 PM
2nd Gear

squealing happens to me too but usually on wet conditions or when they haven;t warmed up (like the first couple minutes of driving) and my car only has 14k on it so idk if anything is wrong but its def annoying

Old 01-18-2009, 03:57 PM

its normal for the breaks to squeal. it usually means you need new break pads but sometimes they just do for some reason...
to answer ur question im pretty sure there's nothing wrong. the stealershiop would've told you...

Old 01-18-2009, 07:06 PM

I have an '08 and after 10000 miles, it started to do the same thing. I had the dealer check it out and they said the brakes were fine. They did tell me though that when its cold and there is enough humidity in the air, they will do that. Now, if I give it about 5 mins of driving and braking, it goes away almost every time. Def wasn't an issue in the summer, just when it got cold

Old 01-19-2009, 02:23 PM
Banned

i told the dealer about my squeaking brakes and he said it's normal and that the brakes are designed for performance and not sound. i notice they are louder when they are cold too.

Old 02-17-2009, 06:49 PM

Guys:

First of all, be a little careful about telling people all brake squealing is "normal"...It depends on the type of sqealing, the loudness, and the conditions under which the squealing occurs. Some types of squealing from the brakes can even indicate a problem.

For example, excessive brake squealing can be caused by the physical pad wear indicators on some cars (not sure which Audis use these..), meaning you need new pads soon!

Other times, it's caused by excessive brake dust between the pads and the rotors, which may not affect braking but can be a real irritant and is not common among all types of cars. The dust problem can be made worse by a poor match between pad type/size/quality and the rotors along with driving style. If the manufacturer used low-cost or poorly-chosen pads and rotors, some cars can be susceptible to this type of squealing.

Sometimes, the dust problem isn't there at all, and it's just a poor match between the rotors and the pads, which can get glazed too much, etc.. Finally, some folks say that excessive vibration of the pads and/or shims in the calibers (along with other brake parts) cause a lot of noise and can sometimes be handled by putting silicon between these parts and the calipers (or someplace like that).

Case in point:

My 2008 Audi A4 developed EXCESSIVE squealing in all four brakes after only 12,000 miles...enough to draw attention from other drivers and pedestrians everytime I brake. The pads are not too worn, and the rotors are not warped. It's just a crappy set of pads and rotors that are not well-matched to the performance of the vehicle.

By the way, enough people have (apparently) complained about excessive squealing that Audi has a Technical Service Bulletin (NOT a recall) dealing with excessive brake squealing (it's TSB 46 08 15 2017130/3, dated 16 Dec 08, with earlier revisions going back earlier in 2008). I believe the TSB suggests that technicians sand the rotor surfaces a little, camber the ends of the pads, and possibly put some silicon between the pads and the calibers to reduce vibration. It's not a recall or anything like that, which is unfortunate, since so many people seem to have this problem with VW's and Audis.

Besides, the existence of this TSB didn't seem to help me, however, since all the Audi dealerships will do is offer me a $600 rotor resurfacing, which is excessive and unneeded to address the problem of poor quality parts. I'm definitely not paying for $600 of brake work on a practically-new vehicle, so I'm going tor try cleaning the brake pads and rotors with cleaner designed for this, along with some other tricks I've read about on this and other sites....

Regards,
Bill

Last edited by astrobill; 02-17-2009 at 07:35 PM.
Old 02-18-2009, 01:14 AM

well it deffinately seems like you know alot more about this than i do or at least you did a good job at sounding like you do hahaha. i am no audi tech. it was just my .02

Old 02-18-2009, 02:21 PM

Other than brake wear indicators, squeeling is because the pads are vibrating during application.

Solutions:
- Sand pads flat.
- Make sure clips and guide pins are not worn.
- Apply brake pad antisqueel paste between the back of the pads and the pistons. This pasate will dry to a rubber like substrance that will dampen these vibrations.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Squeaking while driving

Hey all,

I have a 2008 Audi A4 quattro 2.0t...Recently I've noticed that it makes a squeaking noise while I'm driving. The noise is only heard while I'm driving. It goes away when the car is in park or just idling. I also notice that once I start to break the noise starts to go away. The dealer put new pads and rotors on the car when I bought it. The breaks do squeal when I break, which the dealer said is due to the compound of the breaks. The dealer & his mechanic also claim that the noise I hear while I'm driving is also due to the compound of the breaks. That just seems odd. Is that possible? I feel like it's a belt that's wearing possibly? Other than that the car drives and acts as it should. Any ideas guys...my warranty runs out soon I'd like to have it figured out before that.

Old 11-14-2015, 11:18 AM
1st Gear

Shitt pads usually do that. Rarely, if new rotors haven't been prepped that will also happen.