Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

iPod static while playing

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2008, 10:11 AM
1st Gear
Default iPod static while playing

Most, if not all, of my songs are ripped at least 192 bit rate or better to eliminate and audio issues and to increase the quality of the overall sound.

But, ever since I started using the iPod integration in the glove box (non-Nav head unit) I've been noticing a good deal of background static, *especially* when it's between songs and there's no music to drown it out. Regardless, even with tunes playing I notice the background static. Since I've had one form of an iPod or another for the last 4 years I also know that adjusting the iPod volume up and turning the head unit volume down will often help this, but it seems as though the iPod volume is completely ignored by the head unit.

Are there any other options I can try or is it possibly just a bad wiring job that's receiving interference from other power cords running near the input cables from the dock to the head unit?

Other thoughts or ideas?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:18 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: iPod static while playing

Are you using the Audi OEM iPod kit? Which iPod do you have?

Old 02-07-2008, 01:29 PM
1st Gear

I have satellite without nav, and i'm liking the satellite too much to lose it to the OEM iPod interface. For now I've settled for the cassette adapter (supposedly better than the radio signal adapter) but it sounds terrible...thin, low volume, lots of white noise. I haven't been able to fix it with any settings on the stereo or iPod.

Sort of a tangent, but why do they make 90% of the tape adapters w/ white cords??? It's bad enough running a wire across the console; having it in white makes it stick out 100x more in just about every car I can imagine. Took me months to find a black one that the stereo didn't spit out.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:13 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: BAMF

Are you using the Audi OEM iPod kit? Which iPod do you have?
I've got a 2GB iPod Nano and you can see pics of the stereo and dock here:
http://spencerjw.com/blog/?p=46

Old 02-07-2008, 03:27 PM

Try turning off your cell phone while you're in the car.

Old 02-07-2008, 03:34 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: LedZepfoot

Try turning off your cell phone while you're in the car.
If you have a GSM carrier, yep!

Old 02-07-2008, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

I have AT&T (iPhone) and I do know it will interfere with the speakers but this is not the problem here. I know only too well what that interference sounds like and it only happens when the GSM (EDGE) network is actively being accessed. And even then, with the location of my pocket and the speakers/stereo it's not an issue in my car.

Additionally, I have been in the car when I left my cell at home and the static is still there.

This is also an issue only experienced when using the iPod integration. The stereo and CD sound just as expected.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:24 PM
1st Gear

Sounds like a power issue and not the conection. All after market head units or adapters for the oem can have this problem. suggestion is to make sure this conection is ok and to have an ohm loop anded to help prevent the static. Most computer items come with them to help with interferance. This should fix it. if you had it profesionaly installed take it to them and let them know.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: 4RINGSROD
If you had it profesionaly installed take it to them and let them know.
This is a factory unit, it came this way and everything is bone stock with my car. It's a 2008 by the way.

Old 02-07-2008, 05:38 PM
1st Gear

I guess I should also try a different iPod as well. Maybe it is my iPod, it's been around the block a few times so that wouldn't be a huge surprise to me.