Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Joined the club

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 09:43 PM
1st Gear
Default Joined the club

After much debate, and a fallen through A4 deal

I bought an A3 ... Silver 2006, sport package, no premium

Probably going to get a Revo chip and some tinting just for starters ^.^.

Okay, a really newb question. How do you "cool down the turbo" and under what conditions do you need to?

Thanks!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:05 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Joined the club

Under normal driving there is no need to do anything special. If you drive it hard and then shut the car off, you will hear a humming sound coming from the engine bay -- the carcontinues circulating to cool the turbo if it is particularly hot.

If you are tracking it, you can cool the turbo just by idling the car for a few minutes before shutting it off.

Congrats on the new car!

Old 01-04-2008, 10:07 PM

Welcome!

Definitely read the NooB link at the top of the A3 section. It will help with a lot of questions.

There is no need to cool down the turbo unless you've been running it hard and want to shut it down immediately, then I'd idle the car for a little while.

You've bought a great car that is much much better than the A4.

Cheers!

Old 01-05-2008, 12:16 AM
1st Gear

im highly considering getting a turbo timer, merely cause I'm always runnin around and highly impatient. I dont 'beat' my car, but I am an enthused driver every now and again. I've had 'the hum' kick on a few times. And I know that once I get wasit deep in performance mods, I'm gonna be putting a little more stress on the engine/turbo, so I'd like it to cool down properly. I know its really not neccasary, but for me its better to be safe, then sorry.

Old 01-07-2008, 01:24 AM
2nd Gear

You are probably gonna have to figure out some way to bypass the immobilizer if you want to use a turbo timer.

Old 01-08-2008, 05:32 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info, and a great FAQ!

Two more questions
1. How much have you guys paid for your APR/Revo upgrades and if you guys know a reputable place in the Bay Area for it.
2. Do you undo the mods before taking it in for warrantied service? Reason I ask is one of the local dealers is offering a switch for an additional $200 >.<

Still waiting to drive the car again, waiting on insurance, just finished up registration

Since I'm at it
3. Anyone with experience mounting an Euro license plate?

Old 01-10-2008, 05:51 PM
1st Gear

bump for an answer please?

Old 01-10-2008, 06:17 PM

ORIGINAL: dawinger

Thanks for the info, and a great FAQ!

Two more questions
1. How much have you guys paid for your APR/Revo upgrades and if you guys know a reputable place in the Bay Area for it.
2. Do you undo the mods before taking it in for warrantied service? Reason I ask is one of the local dealers is offering a switch for an additional $200 >.<

Still waiting to drive the car again, waiting on insurance, just finished up registration

Since I'm at it
3. Anyone with experience mounting an Euro license plate?

You can undo the mods before service, which is probably your best way to maintain the warranty. However, the dealer still has a "chance" to discover you have modified the ECU and challenge you about it. Chip programmers work on ways of being undetectable, and Audi works on ways of figuring it out. Finding an Audi dealer that knows you have the chip and still works with you is the best way, IMO. Personally, I have the SPS Select for REVO and do switch the programming going to the dealer, but my dealer knows that my car is chipped too. FWIW, I paid like $180 for the device. It does also switch between octanes and security lockout.

If you are going to mount the Euro plate, then get a Euro bracket. The holes should line up.

Cheers!