Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Leather Seat - ruined??

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2008, 05:45 PM
1st Gear
Default Leather Seat - ruined??

here in the sunny San Diego weather I left a Nalgene type bottle on the passenger seat for a full day , came back the next day and it kinda was sticking to the seat.

After removing the bottle, the seat is f-d! Really smooth where the bottle was sitting on the seat, and on the side(perhaps via the sun passing through the bottle?) there are hundreds of raised rough spots that easily scrape off with my finger but then leave a not so nice feel. I can't imagine a nalgene bottle ruining leather seats

hopefully this is covered by warranty, anyone else seen anything similiar?

Old 09-25-2008, 09:46 AM
1st Gear

Likely the water in the bottle got warm enough to facilitate a reaction with the leather finish and 'unset' it leaving it smooth. The rough spots are where the magnifying glass effect focused the sun on the leather and got it hot enough to cook. Think 2nd or 3rd degree burns - leather is skin after all.

Lucky you didn't set something on fire.

I wouldn't even bother with a warranty claim as this is neither a defect in materials or workmanship.