Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Looking to pick up 2006 A3

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 05:21 PM
Default Looking to pick up 2006 A3

Found a great, clean A3 at the local VW dealer. 56K miles but looking at the Carfax it says it had a camshaft replacement at 47K.
Is this common, something to worry about?

Thoughts are greatly appreciated, thank you!

Old 11-05-2009, 06:28 PM
1st Gear

The camshaft replacement would be considered a good thing, especially if it was accompanied by a fuel pump replacement. The cam/pump interface has been a wear issue on quite a few early A3's. I haven't (yet?) had this problem on mine at 58K.

Old 11-06-2009, 02:35 PM
2nd Gear

Originally Posted by dfrost
The camshaft replacement would be considered a good thing, especially if it was accompanied by a fuel pump replacement. The cam/pump interface has been a wear issue on quite a few early A3's. I haven't (yet?) had this problem on mine at 58K.
You had better take your fuel pump off and check the cam follower for wear if you have not. It can wear right through which takes out the CAM.

As long as the car drives fine you should be fine. At leask for another 50k. I personally would look for a CPO car as they get a full warranty up to 100k miles. I always buy CPO. Great warranty and tons of price savings.

Old 11-07-2009, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

Where are you located, Dragon? The above two posts are good advice. I've had my A3 since the beginning of 2008 from 26K miles, and it's had no problems, other than needed a DV replaced, which was no big deal. I'm selling my '06 A3, that's why I ask. Keep us posted!

Old 11-09-2009, 11:21 AM

Thanks for the replys back!

So I did end up picking up that A3...one test drive pretty much sold me seeing as how I was coming from an Honda Element....talk about night and day difference...I am still amazed at how fast this little pocket rocket is.
It's pretty impressive as you all know.

I am looking into getting an extended warranty, I put miles on cars pretty quick. So I am pricing that out now.

I'm in Orange County, CA. Pretty decent weather so none of that type of stuff to worry about. Sorry Dkenn75 I did not see your post about you selling yours in time.

I'm still figuring out things out on the car...the salesman knew nothing about it (purchased at VW) but for the price and how clean it is, i could not pass it up. The car is spotless inside and out so far.

Is there anything cool I should know about that maybe I don't?
....or negative that I should know? (I did my research and think I know most of the goodies, DSG is simply amazing!!!)

Example...when I come to a stop the car kinda downshifts weird (gears 1-2). Maybe I'm not use to it. It's nothing to be concerned about I think it's just the way it downshifts in a hurry.

Old 11-09-2009, 06:31 PM
1st Gear

I had the Mechatronics unit, which controls the DSG transmission, replaced under the CPO warranty, because of very rough shifting under low speed conditions (when you'd by finessing the clutch and throttle with a manual transmission). It transformed the transmission from really cool to fantastic! Unfortunately, it would very expensive if it's not covered by a warranty of some kind. The awkward downshift when coming to a stop was one of the many improvements.

One cool thing on 2006 A3's is the ability to adjust the steering boost with a VAG-COM interface (the steering boost adjustment is not possible on later years). This interface and software work on a Windows laptop, and enables many very cool functions, but the steering adjustment is one of the best.

Other things I've done with VAG-COM:
- Enabled my fog lights as DRLs
- Calibrated the mpg function of the trip computer
- Enabled heated mirrors (my car did not have the cold weather package)
- Disabled the auto door locks
- Enabled the keyfob to close windows + sunroof, or open windows (no sunroof open option)
- Made some minor changes to the Bose radio settings
- Changed the timing for the seat belt warning light
- Performed boost and torque measurements (from which I calculated horepower). There's LOTS of measurement capability available with VAG-COM, including time-to-speed and distance.
- And best of all, I can read the diagnostics when I get a Check Engine Light.

The VAG-COM people are super helpful and very active over on this Fourtitude Forum:

http://forums.fourtitude.com/zeroforum?id=510

Here's an archive of VAG-COM threads to give you an idea of its many capabilities:

http://www.audi-sport.net/vb/archive....php/f-27.html

If you're interested in this, do yourself a huge favor and buy the real interface from them, not something cheap off ebay. (No, I do not work with or for Ross-Tech, I'm just a very satisfied customer.) Here's a link to the VAG-COM manufacturer:

http://www.ross-tech.com/

Old 11-09-2009, 06:44 PM
1st Gear

Here are few links you should know about.

Common Issues with the 2.0T engine:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3366758

Lots of DIY articles, very well photographed and described:
http://oooo-a3.blogspot.com/

Other cool things in an A3:
http://forums.fourtitude.com/zerothread?id=3189559

PS. Your engine will very probably use oil faster than you'd expect. That doesn't mean that it is already worn out. Mine uses one qt/1500-2000 miles, which is probably about 'average' for the FSI engine.

Do NOT wait 10,000 miles to change the oil. I change at about 6000 mile intervals, based on regular oil tests on my Mobil 1 0W-40.