Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Mods and warranties

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2007, 10:14 PM
1st Gear
Default Mods and warranties

So I just picked up my 2007 2.0T this past weekend, and absolutely love it!! Open Sky all the way!!

Anyways, I've been reading around the forums and it seems that if you were to do only one mod it would be the chip. Now even knowing that there is a 'stock' mode for most chip mods, I'm still not convinced that it can be completely hidden from the dealer. My question is has anyone here successfully made a warranty claim with a chip mod, or any other mods for that matter?

I'm going to be driving this car ALOT, (15-20k/year) so I got the 100,000 mile warranty. I was'nt thinking mods when I made that decision so I don't feel I've put myself in a good position to risk any mods. For instance... say at 66k miles the tranny goes, and I have a chip mod...worst case I see is they find the mod, void the warranty I paid for, and on top of that I have to replace a transmission out of my pocket...not cool.

I have a feeling this really depends on the dealer, so another question would be do you have to go to the dealer you bought your car from for warranty stuff? If not, does anyone know any dealers in the Hudson Valley (NY) who would turn the other cheek?

Old 03-29-2007, 02:30 AM
Default RE: Mods and warranties

Welcome!

Obviously, anything you do that could cause an engine part to malfunction will void the warranty for that part and everything that it affects. A chip will pretty much give the dealer cause to void most all major engine components and potentially the transmission. Some dealers are much more fussy than others, and that has a ton to do with your warranty validation. Chip manufacturers do have the stock mode, and dealers won't be able to detect them, unless they are stumped, have a very good tech, and spend a long time reading engine readout charts. I don't know of anyone in the area that has had a problem that warranted the need for dealer replacement of major parts. I guess we have really good engines that work pretty well? Good for us!!!

Cheers!

Old 03-29-2007, 06:34 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

Some dealers are much more fussy than others, and that has a ton to do with your warranty validation.
^^^ What he said!

Old 03-29-2007, 12:16 PM

skwid - I'm from the Hudson Valley (West Point) and just picked up an '07 2.0T open sky last month. Love this car. You have to drive the road with the twisties that conects to the Bear Mountain Bridge. What a blast. Anyway,I can't help you out with your dealer question but was wonderingif you know of any(local) reputable tuners that are APR dealers. ICS Performance out of Stamford, CT is the closest place I could find.

Old 03-29-2007, 02:30 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

Welcome!

Obviously, anything you do that could cause an engine part to malfunction will void the warranty for that part and everything that it affects. A chip will pretty much give the dealer cause to void most all major engine components and potentially the transmission. Some dealers are much more fussy than others, and that has a ton to do with your warranty validation. Chip manufacturers do have the stock mode, and dealers won't be able to detect them, unless they are stumped, have a very good tech, and spend a long time reading engine readout charts. I don't know of anyone in the area that has had a problem that warranted the need for dealer replacement of major parts. I guess we have really good engines that work pretty well? Good for us!!!

Cheers!
There is also the remote possibility that they would see the "stock mode" program as corrupted and possibly reflash it. Also if you have other visible mod's, those could clue the dealer that you have possibly have chipped your engine.

Avoid APR stickers on your car, and being dumb enough to forget to take out the flashloader which is still sitting in your glove compartment.

Old 03-29-2007, 03:32 PM
1st Gear

I did a search from APR's site and there's an APR dealer in Mosey, which is'nt far at all, though I know nothing about them. This is my first car even worth modding, so I'm completely new to this game. Here's the link:
http://www.goapr.com/Audi/dealer/map...try=NY?270,217

Oh, and I crossed the Hudson, 6 times on 5 differnt bridges (BMB twice) within the first three days I had it . This car is so fun to drive!!! I'd also suggest Rt 106 in Harriman, another wet noodle of a road.