Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

iPod options for a new A3

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 04:23 PM
1st Gear
Default iPod options for a new A3

I pick up my new A3 2.0T this Thursday!! The most immediate thing I need to look into is how to get my iPod hooked up to the stereo. My A3 will be a plain-jane (other than open sky) so I'm pretty sure it will have the Audi Concert II deck. From what I've read on the forums here the dealers offering is overpriced and functions poorly, though I'm leery of going right to Best Buy the 2nd day and let them dig in (I've seen them in action, it isn't pretty) and this is my first new car. Ultimately I'd like to be able to control the iPod in hand.

Any suggestions?

Also, anyone still using a G3 iPod?

Old 03-17-2007, 05:03 PM
Default RE: iPod options for a new A3

I'm still using a 3G iPod and I think that in my A6 what i'm going to end up doing is allowing a small stereo shop in my area to put in an aftermarket deck that has iPod integration. I didn't find any viable options for hooking up to the regular stereo.

Old 03-17-2007, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: skwid

I pick up my new A3 2.0T this Thursday!! The most immediate thing I need to look into is how to get my iPod hooked up to the stereo. My A3 will be a plain-jane (other than open sky) so I'm pretty sure it will have the Audi Concert II deck. From what I've read on the forums here the dealers offering is overpriced and functions poorly, though I'm leery of going right to Best Buy the 2nd day and let them dig in (I've seen them in action, it isn't pretty) and this is my first new car. Ultimately I'd like to be able to control the iPod in hand.

Any suggestions?

Also, anyone still using a G3 iPod?
First tip , always do a search on the forums, this topic has been up several times.
See these discussions: A3 IPod intergration rip-off, True iPod integration - Audi to Apple - mid 2007?.

Old 03-29-2007, 08:37 PM

Neither of these threads has too much info on getting an IPod to interface. They mention DICE, h/k, Dension ICELINK and the (apparently incompatible) factory offering.

Anyone have practical, first-hadn expereince on a decent interface that will have good functionality?

I will keep searching, too.

Old 03-30-2007, 01:57 AM
1st Gear

I just bought the DICE iPod Integration kit. It really seems the way to go, you get controls from the steering wheel, head unit, and/or ipod, and it has another aux input. Mine is still in the mail, so we'll see what happens. Next I need to figure out how to route this cable through the center console to come out by the ashtray...

Old 03-30-2007, 03:06 AM
1st Gear

i've got the dice unit too. you can either use the steering wheel/head unit controls or the ipod. the additional aux plug is great if you don't have an ipod.

as for routing it to the tray behind the ashtray, i had to pull the head unit and hvac controls to run the cable back there and out to the tray behind the ashtray. i had to notch the tray in the back so that the cable could go through w/o getting squished.

Old 03-30-2007, 06:44 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: kverges

Neither of these threads has too much info on getting an IPod to interface. They mention DICE, h/k, Dension ICELINK and the (apparently incompatible) factory offering.

Anyone have practical, first-hadn expereince on a decent interface that will have good functionality?

I will keep searching, too.
The Audi Ipod interface is not incompatable, just expensive. see link for one example of installation
Check out also this interface on ebay
A another cheap interface on ebay

Quote Thorleif Wiik "A couple of days ago, I picked up my new car, an Audi A3 Sportback. Together with the Audi A3, I ordered an iPod interface wiring harness, which is compatible with iPods since the 3rd generation like iPod mini, iPod nano, but not the iPod shuffle.
After connecting the iPod to the interface adapter in the glove compartment, the iPod can be accessed like a music CD. But wait, all information in your ipod about artist, title and so on, are not visible through the Audi A3 audio system. You just see a track number in the vehicle’s audio system and you can access up to five play lists like five CDs in a CD changer.
Conclusion: It’s not as comfortable to choose music from the connected iPod as it could be.

To me a Ipod is barely worth utilizing in a A3, especially now that the CD player supports mp3 format. With a 6 CD changer I don't have to worry about much on the road with CD-R's being dirt cheap! [sm=type.gif]

Old 03-30-2007, 01:17 PM

JohnS1 thanks! That was very informative. Looks like the DICE is really the best option