Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

My first week in my 2007 2.0 T A3

Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2006, 06:19 AM
1st Gear
Default My first week in my 2007 2.0 T A3

Well, one more day and it will be a week. Only one tank of gas. 371 miles. I'm taking it easy on the RPMs until after 1000 miles just like my German salesman Ernst (from Diablo in the bay area) told me.

Reflecting on the week, with a glass of wine, I thought I'd share my experience in a little blog here...

I'm thrilled with my purchase. I haven't even stressed about how much money I lost driving a new car off the lot!

Tonight I went for a nice cruise on a super windy road in the country. I didn't think I would actually be able to see the Adaptive Bi-Xenons move, but I did! Constantly turning back and forth it was really cool to see them 'predict' where I was going to drive. That drive prompted this blog.

Other cool stuff I'm happy with;
* Navigation is sweet. The MMI integration with other tech functions on the car is logical and a good use for a 6 inch Flat Panel. All cars in the future will have a Flat Panel.
* Lights turn on when they need too. When it rains, the wipers do the same. About a half-second before I would decide to turn them on myself.
* You don't have to put keys in the ignition to see the miles on the car. Usually is a problem for LCD odometers. This one shows up the instant you open the door, along with the date and time. (and it's not LCD but a nice red LED/amber glow).
* Bluetooth phone integration even shows the signal strength of your phone right on the bottom of the Flat Panel, no matter what screen functions you are working with.
* I mentioned the Adaptive Bi-Xenons turning into the cornering above....but also the cool way they align each time you turn the car on in the dark.
* SD card slots for MP3s. It's gonna be some work to re-rip my iTunes library, but lots of friends have MP3s and I just take my SD cards to their house and they think it's pretty cool to drag some tunes onto the card and then we go drivin. (okay, this will be my last post related to the Nav System)
* Grocery Bag hooks. I think these only come with the premium package. But I've actually used them a couple times. They really do hold your bags in place in the trunk.
* Roof Rails. I bet not a lot of people get this option, but I'm glad I did. I haven't hauled anything yet, and I still have to purchase the cross bars, but these integrated mounts are so sleek most people don't even notice them until I point them out. Then they say, That's your Roof Rack! Wow! (By the way, one dealer quoted me $2000 to get this option on a car on the lot. It ended up being $500 on the MSRP after ordering a car from the factory.)
* That engine. Mmmm, did I say I was taking it easy right now? From what I can tell so far, there's some nice power ready to come out and play after 1000 miles.
* That transmission. It shifts so well I'm not sure I actually used the shift paddles for DSG, other than to make sure they work.
* The Premium package handling is sportier than I thought it would be. Why did I struggle so much with that 'Sport' choice?
* Heated seats ARE going to be used!
* The sound system is pretty nice. I thought there were more speakers, but right now I can only count six.
* How about those headrests? Even nice in the backseat.
* I can see where I truly will get 30mpg + with this car on road trips. Yet it's still sporty!

Things I don't like, but can live with just fine.
* The disclaimer on the flat screen, every single freakin time you turn the car on. But maybe this will keep me safe?
* No compass feature showing up on the rearview mirror. Which isn't really a big deal, it's more annoying that the manual talks about it and it doesn't exist on an A3.
* No Homelink is okay, but why is it included in the Sport Package and no place else?
* Controls for heating/cooling have been the most complex thing for me. Lots of buttons down there to control Hot and Cold...
* To go with complexity... I still don't quite understand the trip computer functions and all the button/lever pushes located on the steering wheel for cruise, wipers and the like.
* With all these options the car gets pricey. Yeah, I'm not worried about the money loss of a new car for this one, but hell, if you choose most every option couldn't they
at least throw in a free maintenance contract?
* Dealer parts department didn't seem to know much about roof rails on an A3, and for that matter, I might have to order my cross-bars from Europe.

Best Quote of the week: My friend Steve was the first guy to ride in the car. He says to me after a half an hour... "This is like driving around in a Spa"

Biggest surprise of the week: At first is was the cool way Bluetooth integrated, but then I called my Geico Insurance to add the car on. Unbelievable that with standard coverage I get something similar to an extended warranty. He tells me that since I bought a new car, they cover major repairs with a $250 deductible up to 100,000 miles! Sweet! I said, soo..my transmission goes out at 85,000 miles...and he says, yep, for $250 they fix it and he thinks they are probably the only insurance carrier that does this.

2007 A3 2.0T S-Tronic
Ocean Blue Pearl / Light Grey Interior
-> Premium
-> Open Sky
-> Nav/Sound
-> Roof Rails
-> Cold Weather
-> Technology Package

Old 10-23-2006, 06:31 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: My first week in my 2007 2.0 T A3

I was way jealous until I got to the insurance thing, at which point I just got awestruck. THAT'S CRAZY! congratulations.

Old 10-23-2006, 09:56 PM
SoCal Crew Member

ORIGINAL: Jefferson

Unbelievable that with standard coverage I get something similar to an extended warranty. He tells me that since I bought a new car, they cover major repairs with a $250 deductible up to 100,000 miles! Sweet! I said, soo..my transmission goes out at 85,000 miles...and he says, yep, for $250 they fix it and he thinks they are probably the only insurance carrier that does this.

What the hell...are you serious?..that's unheard of, that's probably the best option an insurance company can offer. Is that an extra $$ to your premium?

Old 10-23-2006, 11:00 PM
3rd Gear

Glad to hear you enjoy it. Now bring on the mods!

Old 10-23-2006, 11:01 PM
1st Gear

* With all these options the car gets pricey. Yeah, I'm not worried about the money loss of a new car for this one, but hell, if you choose most every option couldn't they
at least throw in a free maintenance contract?
Don't you get the first 5000 mile oil change for free?

Biggest surprise of the week: At first is was the cool way Bluetooth integrated, but then I called my Geico Insurance to add the car on. Unbelievable that with standard coverage I get something similar to an extended warranty. He tells me that since I bought a new car, they cover major repairs with a $250 deductible up to 100,000 miles! Sweet! I said, soo..my transmission goes out at 85,000 miles...and he says, yep, for $250 they fix it and he thinks they are probably the only insurance carrier that does this.
I've been with Geico for many years now and always take their MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance) with every new car I buy. It's good for 7 years/100,000 miles on any new car less than 11 months old. It's pretty cheap the first year (like $30) and then jumps to $60-$70. One of the most desirable features is that if you sell your car to another Geico policy holder, it can be transferrred! Go Gecko!

Old 10-24-2006, 12:39 AM
2nd Gear

Does it apply to modded cars? I somehow doubt it

Old 10-24-2006, 12:59 AM

Jefferson,

You'll be very happy when you finally release all of those ponies to run. Just when you think that is totally cool, chip the car and see the other herd come running in. Absolutely amazing what this little 2 liter engine can do!

Cheers!

Old 10-25-2006, 05:16 AM
1st Gear

Tonight I'm blogging on beer...

Thanks for reading my wordy post the other night. The car is definitely cool. Damn cool. Gotta love those German Engineers.

Responding to some posts:

Yes, the first year of maintenance is free for everyone. I did purchase the extended maintenance contract however, for the full term up to 50K miles. Those oil changes are expensive I hear.

My Geico guy did not indicate the coverage I had was any sort of extra/extended warranty. It sounded like it was entirely included in my regular coverage. I better call them back and check, but the overall price seemed reasonable.

.....ah, flying to Denver for the weekend, won't see the A3 for four whole days...

Old 10-25-2006, 01:26 PM
1st Gear

SO, let me get this straight.

Only the 1st year is all the warranty covers?

I thought up to 50K on the regular warranty was covered.

Only 1 yr????

And isnt the oil changes on the A3's every 7-10,000 miles for the first oil change?

So basically, if I put only 7,000 miles on it the first year, im only getting 1 FREE OIL CHANGE????

When I purchased my A3, (which I am still waiting on to arrive), I didnt ask anything about the standard warranty.

Can anyone fill me in?

Old 10-25-2006, 02:33 PM

The first year is free on 07's The first oil change is at 5000 mi. the second is at 15000, so yes you would only get one free if you go <15000 mi the first year. The warranty was better in 06.

Quick Reply: My first week in my 2007 2.0 T A3