Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Nav Plus and MP3s info!

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2006, 12:45 AM
1st Gear
Default Nav Plus and MP3s info!

I had wondered myself prior what exactly the nav system is and isnt capable of doing prior to getting my A3, since i got it anyway and never found the answers i was looking for, and others were looking for, I decided to help out and post this info.

MP3 slots, it has two, not just one. I have a 4GB card in the first slot and it works fine, though the card is not yet full. I will update as soon as I fill it if i find any limitations.

Most common question, does it play MP3's on cd's?? Yes and no, but mostly no. if you put a cd in the changer then no, it will NOT play mp3's off that cd. It can however play mp3's off of a cd in the main slot behind the screen...while kind of useful, doing this will disable your navigation system since you will not have a map dvd anymore. I haven't checked yet if it will play MP3's off of a DVD(giving 4+GB storage on the cheap) because i think doing so would be quite counterproductive since you will lose the nav.

If anyone wants to know anything else, let me know and i'll be happy to test it, but for now i think this should answer most questions.

Also, yes, ONLY the nav system can play mp3's at all, concert and symphony systems are audio cd only.

Old 09-10-2006, 11:23 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Nav Plus and MP3s info!

thnx for the info, even if it mades me sad

Old 09-12-2006, 05:50 AM
1st Gear

Thanks for the info. I just got word today that our A3 has been manufactured and on it's way to the US! We ordered Nav + Sound and I had read in other places that 1GB was the limit for a card in either slot. That would be my primary concern. It's a whole month before I can test. Also, I'm sure it's just MP3s. Bummer, because most of my iTunes library is made up of 'ACC' type files which is apples format. I guess I have to go convert all my songs?

Thanks again for your info.

- Jeff - Far Northern California

Old 09-13-2006, 05:54 PM

Question- I also have the Nav plus, and while I've played MP3s off memory cards, I can't figure out how to use playlists (the manual says you can). Anyone tried this?

thx

Old 09-15-2006, 02:36 AM
1st Gear

I have a 2GB card in slot 1 and it works fine. My suggestion is to buy name brand SDs. I have a PNY (Toshiba SD-M026) and it works nicely. I've read the 4GB cards are read, but there might be some issue with the slower/off-brand cards.

I'm still hunting for a nice iPod option. Doesn't seem to exist. I've found www.navplus.us very helpful for RSN-E questions. However, they tend to focus on the 'bigger' Audis.

You'll love your A3. I do mine...except for the iPod thing...stupid for audi for simply not including some sort of Aux in.

ep

Old 09-16-2006, 06:24 AM
1st Gear

Cool. Glad to hear that the bigger cards work. Costco has some quality high-speed Sandisk 2GB cards on sale right now. And I've downloaded the new iTunes 7.0, which has a nice easy option to convert my songs to MP3s. (Was probably there in previous versions but I never had to check)

So, you sound happy with your car. Some reviews have said the Nav interface sucks. I found it pretty logical and user friendly in the showroom. I thought it was cool that a lot of other functions were controlled on the screen too.

less than a month away now for our car! We loaded it up with options, so it's time to shell out the money! These things can get expensive!

A3 2.0 T DSG -2007
Ocean Blue Pearl
Premium
Open-Sky
Nav Sound
Technology Package
Cold Weather
Roof Rails

hmm,, I think that's it... Really struggled with the colors and Sport or Premium, but excited I'm getting the Nav with the MP3 slots behind.

Old 09-19-2006, 08:21 PM

The limitation is not the SDCARD size but the limit is 400 files (all folders included).

So, for example, you can have 4 big files of 1Gb to fill a 4Gb card, but not more than 400 small files (if you have 400 files of size 1Mb, then it will be 400Mb, you can put more, but the MMI reader will not recognize more than 400 files).

Regards,

Cybertoif.

Old 09-19-2006, 10:52 PM
1st Gear

that sucks about the 400 file limit...but i guess that means no reason not to use 320kbps bit rate on all of em in a 4gb card, so at least i'll get as much quality as possible from a mp3.

Old 09-21-2006, 11:25 PM
1st Gear

I have the Navi and I have also noticed the 400 file limitation. Actually I originally thought there was a limit to the number of directories you could create. But now that I know that there is a 400 file limit I think I may have to think about which songs I REALLY want on my 4GB SD card. Also That means I will likely never get to use the full 4GB capacity. And I have some 45 minute DJ mixes too.

One more thing to add. If you have some DJ mixes with separate tracks for each song the break is not clean. There will be a slight pause which meant that I had to combine the entire mix onto one large file.

Old 10-01-2006, 02:41 PM

ORIGINAL: Jefferson

A3 2.0 T DSG -2007
Ocean Blue Pearl
Premium
Open-Sky
Nav Sound
Technology Package
Cold Weather
Roof Rails

hmm,, I think that's it... Really struggled with the colors and Sport or Premium, but excited I'm getting the Nav with the MP3 slots behind.
Jefferson, Could you please post a pic of your Ocean Blue Pear. I'm trying to decide between the silver, white and Ocean Blue Pearl. Also, I can't believe that the only way to play MP3's on any of the audio choices is with memory cards! That stinks! Anyway, please post some pics. Thks. Cheers

Quick Reply: Nav Plus and MP3s info!