Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Need new tires + advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2007, 07:23 PM
Default Need new tires + advice

I have an '06 A3 2.0T - I drive the hell out of this car.

I regularly drive it as fast as the thing can go...

Took it in for the 25K service today - and have 27.4K miles. I have had the car 1 year as of May 31... and they said my left front tire is showing cords and the right front is at 3/32 or something (the number where they recommend replacement.

Im much more into performance than looks, but I ahve not done anything to this car. Its all stock with the exception of whatever the first owner did to it (it had 6K miles when I got it - it apparently was a repo)

Id like to know what type of tires I should get with what rating... again for speed at the upper end of this cars limits.

What do you think of the audi tires. They are 450 / pair installed and balanced.

Thanks

Old 05-14-2007, 08:29 PM
Default RE: Need new tires + advice

I got a nice set of Toyo Proxes T1-R's for $120/each. They beat the hell out of the Pirelli PZeros that were on the car from the factory. I think you can do a LOT better than the dealer for price and selection. Log on to www.tirerack.com and do a little searching and reading. There are a lot of different options for this car. They don't carry Toyo's, but they have the GY F1's that was going to be my second choice.

Cheers!

Old 05-14-2007, 10:30 PM
1st Gear

Michelin PS2 is one of the best, but also one of the most expensive tires. The GY and Toyo Chef suggested are also good and safe choices. If you are looking for something less expensive, check out Dunlop Direzza and some Falkens are also decent for the price.

Old 05-28-2007, 11:52 AM
1st Gear

I have OZ Ultraleggra Wheels and Yokohama ADVAN Sport tires right now and I like them a lot. they stick really well. they are good in the wet. Look at [URL=http://www.tirerack.com] that is where i bought my wheels and tires. i am thinking about buying the Advan Neova next. If you want some good wheels though look at some of those OZ wheels they look really good on European cars

Old 05-28-2007, 01:59 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

I got a nice set of Toyo Proxes T1-R's for $120/each. They beat the hell out of the Pirelli PZeros that were on the car from the factory. I think you can do a LOT better than the dealer for price and selection. Log on to www.tirerack.com and do a little searching and reading. There are a lot of different options for this car. They don't carry Toyo's, but they have the GY F1's that was going to be my second choice.
Cheers!
Tirerack doesn't list many Toyo tires online...very limited. Another site that shows all the tires rated plus review is 1010tires.com. We have a lot of Discount Tire/America's Tire outlets local here in California.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:17 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: eltonsi

Michelin PS2 is one of the best, but also one of the most expensive tires. The GY and Toyo Chef suggested are also good and safe choices. If you are looking for something less expensive, check out Dunlop Direzza and some Falkens are also decent for the price.
Agreed the Michelin PS2 are one of the best, if you want a cheaper tire the Continental ContiExtremeContact are not that bad, but the Yokohama YK520 has better wear/road noise.
I got stuck with the Pirelli P6 Four Seasons, so will see how long they last. Audi was randomly shipping some A3's with Pirelli's P6 Four Seasons some with Continental's ContiExtremeContact early this year.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:23 PM
1st Gear

+3 on the Michelin PS2's. I used them on my old car and they were great! My Audi came with P6 4-seasons and they suck really bad! But I will wait until I wear em down before getting a new set.

Old 05-28-2007, 07:33 PM

I also agree on the Michelin PS2's, but they are a little expensive. I'm SO glad the my car came with the PZeros and not the P'OS'6. Still, I think that the F1, T1-R's, and the PS2's would be a huge improvement over any of the OEM selections.

Cheers!

Old 05-29-2007, 02:55 AM

check this page better than tirerack
tires-easy.com - the home of low tire prices for cars, 4x4's and vans

Old 05-30-2007, 11:57 AM
1st Gear

I had to replace a set of Conti's on my old car (Crossfire) with a set of Goodyear F1's. Considering the sizes and profile of the tires, the F1's were extremely quieter and better handling on that very heavy car. They were excellent in the rain, also. Great grip.

Quick Reply: Need new tires + advice