Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New Guy! Blow Off Valve Question

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2014, 03:57 AM
1st Gear
Default New Guy! Blow Off Valve Question

Hey folks! I'm about to purchase an Audi A3 in the next few days and of course I'm spending countless hours researching modifications I can do to it once I get the keys. A little auto history of mine, I've only owned V8's. I currently have a 1966 Mustang Fastback and a 2001 Camaro SS. I plan on selling the SS and getting this A3. The V8 bug has been scratched and ever since my German friends got an A3, I fell in love. Anyway.... about this blow off valve thing... I've read that an aftermarket one can cause you to lose some power. I've also heard that it won't. Basically, I love the turbo sound and would like a loud blow off valve but I'm curious if it does in fact cause a loss of power. Go easy on me... After all, I've been a V8 guy all my life.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 AM
4th Gear

Audi uses a diverter valve which reroutes excess boost back into the intake system, not to the atmosphere like a BOV. This air has already been measured by the MAF, so leaking it for "that cool turbo sound" is actually messing with air/ fuel ratios, even if for a split second until the computer compensates for the sudden (unanticipated) drop in the amount of air in the intake.

A BOV can be use with the correct set up and tune to run it, but if you just want it for the sound, get a Neon SRT-4.

Old 05-17-2014, 08:11 AM
4th Gear

Read about diverter valves.

Old 05-19-2014, 12:10 PM
2nd Gear

I installed the latest Forge BOV (~ $250) for my wife's car per her request and had no check engine lights or performance loss so far. Car has been running fine for a good year since that "upgrade". I did not notice any power loss or gain.
The only other upgrade I recommend is a cold air intake. The standard intake sucks in too little air and is not "cold". The BOV sounded much better with the extra air from the CAI and I did notice a slight performance increase from that.

In regards to the previous comments:
There are (it seems like) millions of threads and articles about the BOV and the closed system Audi is using (and other manufacturers). I could never find enough evidence that it's bad or harmful to the engine - but if not properly installed or an aftermarket manufacturer didn't do its job right it will throw a code.
Anyhow I took the risk and so far had no issues. I also installed an oil catch can (again might be a gimmick not worth paying for) for a peace of mind.