Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New here - A3, project?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2014, 05:32 PM
1st Gear
Smile New here - A3, project?

Hi! New here, and a recent first time Audi owner.

Figured I would start up a project thread for a couple of reasons. Mainly because I'm new to the detailing/modding scene and I'm hoping with a few tips along the way, I can end up with something I'm really happy with! But also, to keep track of everything I'm doing. I'm looking forward to getting dirty over the summer, and learning some new things. Always loved cars, but never had the knowledge/know-how so I'm starting this year!

Below are the pictures 'as bought'

Audi A3 2.0 T FSI Quattro

Name:  DSC_0248_zps41bc80fb.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  99.6 KB Name:  DSC_0249_zps0b4908d2.jpg
Views: 96
Size:  118.6 KB Name:  DSC_0250_zpsd6bd2885.jpg
Views: 83
Size:  123.3 KB Name:  DSC_0251_zps433b93e7.jpg
Views: 80
Size:  118.6 KB Name:  DSC_0252_zps98b96d18.jpg
Views: 91
Size:  88.5 KB

I was particularly happy with the paintwork, no dents and only one minor scrape but it's not seen unless you go up and look for it. Paid £3200 for it (£4900 - £1700 p/x). Runs great, no problems and sounds great! Though I am coming from a 1.4 Ibiza so..

Anyway things I've got in mind.

Height

I'd like it lowered a tad as the height bugs me a little. H&R springs seem to be popular on here but I'm still undecided whether coilovers would be a better option and to be quite frank, I'm not completely sure of the pros/cons of either.

Chassis

I'm pretty happy with the look of it. I fancy a sportier looking honeycomb/mesh grill, I'll look around for maybe an S3/RS3 styled one. Also the rear bumper annoys me slightly, though of course I have no idea what would fit so need to check this out.

Paintwork

I will eventually look to having it wrapped/sprayed when I can afford it. Detailing isn't something I'm looking to rush into, but eventually I'd like a 'finished article' that is at least as relatively stone chip free! But I'll not get that at the moment anyway with the amount of motorway/A road driving I do.

Performance

Looking around at remap's. There's alot of different opinions around and with prices ranging from £199 to £499 between manufacturers for Stage 1 remaps, I'm struggling to make a decision.

Wheels

It's currently on 17" Fat 5's which whilst I feel carry a certain, almost classic, Audi feel about them, I just can't warm to them. I'll be keeping my eye out on eBay for some 18"s, but inevitably I'll end up shelling out far more than I need to on some new ones. Though for most of this project I realise I would be better off with the second hand goods, if I want to wallet. I'll be keeping my eye out on here for second handy's roaming around too. Also, I've got 1 Michelin tyre, 2 Continental's and a Goodyear which have got about 3-4mm tread left so will need replacing soon.

So, to begin. The coolant sump needs flushing as it's got bits of - what looks like - rust in it. Assume the previous owner wasn't so keen on the anti-freeze and was just using water!

Also, see below. Is it possible to get this engine cover off? Any chance of a nice shiny engine cover sitting under there one day?

Name:  DSC_0254_zps6f08a5cd.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  77.0 KB

Thanks, I'll keep this updated as and when. Might go untouched for a month or so while I save for parts etc, but I thought I'd make it now so any questions I have might be answered.

/seb

Old 06-27-2014, 12:30 PM
2nd Gear

Willkommen

I got same color A3 for my wife and she loves it. It's also the 2.0T, manual but unfortunately without Quattro since they do not sell that a3 combination in the states

Anyhow in regards to a few of your questions:
*The honeycomb grill (rs3 look) is available for our cars. ECSTuning just posted in these forums that they have and sell them for around 150!
*I agree that you should get some better looking rims for that ride. Wife has the 16 spoke s-line rims (17") and loves them.
*The Engine cover can be removed but beware that if you do, you need a cold air intake since they included the air intake (+filter) into the engine cover (stupid design if you ask me).

Not sure about the European models but the A/C they put in the 8p models sucks. There are hundreds of complaints about the unit dying before 80k. Just replaced mine last week after reaching 69k miles.

That's all I got for you right now. Enjoy the ride - it's a fun car.