Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

New member - new A3

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2007, 02:32 AM
Default New member - new A3

Hi guys,

I'm new here - thought id introduce myself and say "hi".

I'm Arin - just got a new 2008 A3 on dec 21 I had an A4 avant before this and was pretty bummed when the a3 came out cuz I would have rather had a smaller car. So, on thursday night i did the "customize your audi" thing online and friday i pulled a trade. im stoked!

The car is white with the 5 spoke, 17" wheels, open sky, ipod kit, and s line.

Anyways... I have one question for you guys regarding the ipod stuff. Ive read a few threads about ipod integration here and i wish i read them before i purchased the ipod kit. the stock audi ipod integration is pure crap and after reading here and elsewhere im getting close to scrapping it for the dice kit. Now, I have a couple observations to list then my questions...

My observations/learnings...
1) I read the Dice manual and it says something like "Radios supporting CD-text will also display text from your iPod".
2) my car's head unit display's track text (title/album/artist) for each song when i pop in a cd (i was surprised by this)
3) the stereo's manual says it will display track info IF the CD supports cd text.

now my question...

Does this mean i will be able to see track info on my head unit if i install the dice system? My head unit is a "Concert" ... I cant find a version number.

Please pardon the ipod content- but none of the ipod threads i read addressed this.

Anyways - thanks for all the great info guys! I'm looking forward to being a part of this forum!

-Arin

Old 12-26-2007, 05:04 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: New member - new A3

yea i have the similar question too. Heard that 08 A3 is equipped with Concert III instead of Concert II which was used on 06 and older models. I have the stock head unit with ipod integration kit. (w/o navi and CD changers) I did some research on putting dice kit on the 08 model, but haven't found much. Anybody knows anything about this matter??

Old 12-26-2007, 09:06 AM

That is the rumor for the 08 A3's. Why don't you guys get a hold of the DICE people and find out for us all?

Oh, Welcome!!!

Cheers!

Old 12-26-2007, 02:32 PM

I actually just got off the phone with Dice tech support. When talking to the tech i explained that my stereo's manual says it will display track info (title & album name) if the CD has CD text. The manual says this applies to both MP3 CDs and audio CDs. I also told him that when i put in a normal cd that the head unit does displays both track title and album info.

The CD i have in the unit is by A Wilhelm Scream and is a normal audio CD purchased off amazon.com. CD details:
Album name: Career Suicide
Track title: The Horse

Here you see the head unit displaying the album title:

A quick press of the "Info" button and the head unit now displays the song title:

hi-res pics at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/phatduc...7603549006212/

The tech all but dismissed me. It was obvious that he just wanted to get off the phone. He was quick to say their unit does not have the ability to display text on the head unit. When I explained all the details i outlined above he was resigned to "I don't know".

I may try emailing them the pics and will also call Dennison support to see if they can be more helpful. I will make sure to post all findings on the forum.

In the mean time if any knowledgeable folks could chime in I'd greatly appreciate it.

Old 12-26-2007, 03:32 PM
2nd Gear

Welcome, the 08 radio and all electronic switches around it is a much nicer set up then the 07 congrats.

Old 12-26-2007, 05:32 PM

Geez there's no slot for a cassette anymore? Waht up wit dat?

Old 12-26-2007, 06:35 PM

id been using the cassette solution for years. It was cheap and easy and good enough. I got the ipod package for this car so I assumed the "no cassette player" thing would be just fine...

i'm probably just gonna eat the $250 i paid for the ipod package and install an iceLink or a Dice system

Old 12-26-2007, 07:09 PM
1st Gear

what's a cassette?

Old 12-26-2007, 11:30 PM
2nd Gear

Yes, that head unit is MUCH nicer than the one that came in my '07.

Old 12-30-2007, 09:50 PM
1st Gear

has anybody put a dice kit on a 08 yet? is there somekinda new version that fits 08 and displays the text?