Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

No cooling fans & No A/C

Old 08-10-2011, 11:08 AM
1st Gear
Unhappy No cooling fans & No A/C

Hi guys,

This is my first post here and I am hoping this is the forum to solve my problems.

I have spent what seems like ages looking at threads, Google etc.

Story goes like this;

Ive had my 2004 2.0tdi A3 sport for 2 years and had an issue with squeeling from alternator belt, until one day the alternator pulley seized up and sheered off (last year). I replaced this and thought nothing more. Around the same time as the squeeling and seizing up, my ECON light kept coming on and A/C was intermittent. Eventually the A/C got warmer and I left it, ignorantly thinking I would get a re-gas when I could afford it. I also now remember that at the time the radiator fan seemed noisier and excessively fast. I have never had it regassed and it still blows warm air.
It wasnt until a couple of weeks ago, I had my cambelt changed and had my car scanned for error codes. I had these codes;

18359- Radiator Fan 2 (V177): Movement Restricted / Jammed
P1951 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1638 /min
Torque: 144.0 Nm
Speed: 41.0 km/h
Load: 32.2 %
Voltage: 14.21 V
Bin. Bits: 11000000
Temperature: 54.0°C
Duty Cycle: 15.5 %

18358 - Radiator Fan (V7): Movement Restricted / Jammed
P1950 - 000 - - - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 777 /min
Torque: 0.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 13.76 V
Bin. Bits: 11000100
Temperature: 62.1°C
Duty Cycle: 9.6 %

I was told that the fans were knackered and to replace them.

Neither fan appeared to be working but there was no obstruction and they spun fairly freely by hand.

I have since then found my smaller fan (left hand side of the engine bay) running fast , while the ECON light was off and the car sitting on a hot day at 90*. I pressed the ECON button as if to turn off A/C and a few seconds later the fan switched off. I have not been able to repeat this since (running it up to temp etc).

I purchased a 2nd hand pair of fans from an ebay scrappy and was assured they were tested and worked. I have fitted them but they dont kick in at any time either (having had the car at running temp.)

I have seen a thread about the compressor and that the centre of the pulley should run free. Mine doesnt and I wonder if the seizing alternator pulley (connected to compressor by the belt) has caused damage to compressor??

I have seen lots of threads on this fan topic and they suggest testing certain things but I am a little thick when it comes to electrics. I have checked the fuses in the engine bay and all appear fine.

Firstly does this sound like something you may have had an issue with or that you can offer advice on??

Secondly can anyone assist with the following

Where is the thermoswitch located?
Is it correct that the Fan Control Module is built into the big fan?
How do I test the relays?

Any help on these apparently linked issues will be very much appreciated.

DAN