Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

oil in coolant - advice please

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2006, 09:17 AM
1st Gear
Default oil in coolant - advice please

Hi all - looks like an excellent forum so perhaps you can lend me some advice....

I have a A3 sportback 2.0 tdi and am largely delighted with it for reasons I am sure we share BUT -

I have noticed oil sludge in the coolant expansion tank that although it has been flushed seems to keep coming back. Not much but enough to suggest there is perhaps an ongoing problem here.
The oil is fine ie no coolant in it. No other associated symptoms other than oil consumption (or leaking maybe) which is on the high side even for this engine.

AFAIK there are 2 likely causes - head gasket ( please no!) or oil cooler which has apparently been replaced already about a year ago. Was hoping the emerging sludge was just residue from the oil cooler swap and I guess it still may be but difficult to tell.

Anybody else seen or heard of this? What would you do next? Two duff oil coolers? Possible I guess. It is in warranty but not keen on having the head taken off if it can be avoided.

Thanks.

Old 10-22-2006, 02:15 PM
Default RE: oil in coolant - advice please

ORIGINAL: a3tdi

Hi all - looks like an excellent forum so perhaps you can lend me some advice....

I have a A3 sportback 2.0 tdi and am largely delighted with it for reasons I am sure we share BUT -

I have noticed oil sludge in the coolant expansion tank that although it has been flushed seems to keep coming back. Not much but enough to suggest there is perhaps an ongoing problem here.
The oil is fine ie no coolant in it. No other associated symptoms other than oil consumption (or leaking maybe) which is on the high side even for this engine.

AFAIK there are 2 likely causes - head gasket ( please no!) or oil cooler which has apparently been replaced already about a year ago. Was hoping the emerging sludge was just residue from the oil cooler swap and I guess it still may be but difficult to tell.

Anybody else seen or heard of this? What would you do next? Two duff oil coolers? Possible I guess. It is in warranty but not keen on having the head taken off if it can be avoided.

Thanks.

Yeah, you've pretty much outlined potential problems for the event. I would take it back to the dealer if it is under warranty. Not doing anything wouldn't be prudent and they will be able to tell if it is the oil cooler or a blown head. Definitely something is out of whack and needs attention.

BTW, do you have that TDI chipped? Torque monsters with a chip! Probably a good idea to have everything fixed well first.

Cheers!

Old 10-25-2006, 03:53 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the reply chief.

Well, I am a little wiser to what is going on here and have some useful information to post....

According to a very recent Audi tech bulletin there is a manufacturing issue with some 2.0 tdi engines where a locating dowel between head & block has been inserted upside down at the factory.
Not sure how many units but the symptom is oil in coolant (not vice versa) and my dealership is acting on this advice to remove the head and inspect. This is very recent news and something to keep in mind if you see this rather serious symptom. Will be fixed under warranty and dealership are about as good as it gets. Could do without it though....

Old 10-25-2006, 05:20 PM

Good job on digging up that information. Not much you can do except document anything out of the ordinary from now on with the engine and bring it back to VAG if the cause might be related to their mistake. You may end up with additional coverage due to their screw-up.

Glad it's getting fixed.

Cheers!

Old 12-19-2006, 09:37 AM
1st Gear

THe work was carried out (highly proffesionally) by an Audi dealership with an excellent reputation and whilst the head was off they could indeed see that the manufacture defect with the dowels was causing engine oil to move into the cooling system. I assume this has been going on from new. Not a great thing to happen but I am assured that no lasting problems should be expected. Since the work was completed the coolant has remained clear so am happy they have found and remedied the cause.

Just keep this in mind anybody with this model variant though I guess this could extend to other Audi's using the same block/head.

Thought I should just post a conclusion to what was (is for some others) a significant defect on a 2.0 tdi engine.