Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Open Sky System pictures request

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2008, 04:11 AM
Default Open Sky System pictures request

Hello everyone,

I'm trying to decide if I should choose the Open Sky System for my new A3 Sportback and I'm looking for some hi-res pictures to help me decide. I've already searched through Google Images but the results are mostly the same, low-res ones from the Audi website. My dealer here in Belgium has no pictures apart from the one in the brochure (taken from above) and they don't have any demo models available because it's apparently a very rare feature in this country. Anyway, would anyone who owns an A3 Sportback with OSS be willing to upload (or email me) some high-res, up-close pictures of the OSS? Preferably both from the inside and the outside, open and closed. I would really appreciate that to help me make a decision.

Thank you in advance!

Old 02-14-2008, 10:16 AM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Open Sky System pictures request

the only one I have is after a seegull decided to sh*t when i had it open and it got on the under side of the open sky (i know crazy right!) and all over the back seat.

here isa link to the thread with pictures of the *damage* https://www.audiforums.com/m_546897/tm.htm

Old 02-14-2008, 10:32 AM
1st Gear

Hi Jim,

I will try to take some pictures of it tomorrow. But, all I can say is...my A3 would be a totally different car without Open Sky and I would not love it nearly as much as I do. It makes the car feel bright and airy inside, and the black shiny roof with the dolphin grey paint of my car is a great combination in my opinion! Plus, I live in Taipei where the temps get hot and the sun is intense, so I fully experience the 'downside' of the roof...but even then...it's totally worth it! The other aspect is the weight...I've heard it adds 200pounds (sorry US website..90kg) to the roof. So, I guess if you want all out performance in the corners that might nix the idea...but I can't even notice that aspect of it and just love the roof!

Old 02-14-2008, 01:39 PM
1st Gear

my opinion..if you like a dark inside..don't go with it..but other than that I can't think of a reason(other than the two listed, weight + bird shat) to not go with it...for heat I saw a thread about a dark lining you can use to cover up but I can't imagine it heats up all that much...plus you can always tint the side windows...many passangers get in the rear and love the open sky look, I have to say I never have mine closed, even open the roof on tilt for fresh air, even in winter

Old 02-14-2008, 02:32 PM
1st Gear

I cant imagine having the car without open sky. Makes it look more badass in my opinion. Only improvement would be if the back window opened as well.

I live in boston and got the car in July. Didnt notice the car getting hot in the summer. My dealer did admit that he had seen one A3 come back with the trim-release issue but so far so good for mine...knock on wood. Ive got a thule roof rack on my car in the spring summer and fall and can attest to no interference.

I test drove an S5 with my old man and it has the same ghetto window shade. What a car though; made it tough to get back into the

Old 02-15-2008, 05:35 AM

Thank you very much for your replies. I'm almost certain I want the Open Sky for my new car, as I think the glossy black on top will look very neat with the Pearl Black and the aluminium metal bars on top. The inside of the car is black as well, with dark wood (it's an Ambiente model). As for the added heat due to direct sunlight, I assume that would only be a short inconvenience as I usually turn up the AC to max when I get in the car for the first 5-10 minutes. As for the cold, I took the front seat heating option so I hope that'll even it out.

@TPE_A3: Thanks in advance, I'm looking forward to some up-and-close pics to push me over the line.

Old 02-15-2008, 09:54 AM
1st Gear

Agree with the above posts, but it definitely makes for a hotter interior if you live in a warm climate. The only complaint I have about the open sky is that the interior shades are not completely opaque. This means in extreme heat (where I live it gets 110F + in the summer), there no way to completely block the sun except to slip a blackout shade in between. This may not be an issue for you if it doesn't get that hot. Other than that, you can't beat the look of it. It really makes the interior feel bigger as well - especially in the back seat.

Old 02-15-2008, 10:57 AM

How about automatic car washes? I read somewhere else on this forum that they were a definitive no-no with the OSS, is this true? I take my current car through an automatic carwash every other week and although I wouldn't mind washing it manually I would like to know for sure that it's not possible to do it automatically.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:58 AM

Here is my OSS. Sorry no pics from outside. The only problem from me is that it sometimes rattles on the FWY.

Old 02-15-2008, 01:34 PM

sometimes that rattle is just the rolling shade... if you pull it out real quick and readjust it, it goes away most of the time... or when its all the way pulled out the latches sometimes rattle, so I basically never close it because of that.

Quick Reply: Open Sky System pictures request