Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Open Sky System pictures request

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 01:36 PM
Default RE: Open Sky System pictures request

I also don't understand why the shade is perforated? Couldn't they just as easily have made it solid so if you wanted shade you could actually get some??? Mod Idea

Old 02-15-2008, 04:15 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Jim Morris

How about automatic car washes? I read somewhere else on this forum that they were a definitive no-no with the OSS, is this true? I take my current car through an automatic carwash every other week and although I wouldn't mind washing it manually I would like to know for sure that it's not possible to do it automatically.
It all depends on how **** you are about your car. I take mine to auto (brushless) carwashes.

E (has hand-washed, but never hand-waxed a car)

Old 02-18-2008, 09:20 AM

ORIGINAL: AManCalledE
It all depends on how **** you are about your car.
Not that much, I mean cars get scratched so I might as well live with that. But if it starts leaking or if it damages the glass panels in more severe ways then I'd like to have a heads-up.

Anyway, I think I'm convinced I want the OSS, so I ordered the following:

Audi A3 Sportback 2008 Ambiente / Pearl Black 1.9TDI with S-TRONIC DSG
GPS Plus DVD (RNS-E)
Multifunction Steering Wheel
Front seats heated
Front foglights
Aluminium roofrails
Side mirrors electronically retractable + heated
Xenon Headlights Plus
Bluetooth preparation in armrest
Acoustic parking system
Open Sky System
Clima-X Ambiente pack (Automatic lights/wipers/cruise control/Dual Climatronic etc.)
No engine/model markings

I have a question unrelated to the OSS though, will this GPS system (presumably being the newest 2008 hardware with the latest European firmware) have the SDS system enabled by default? Or will that still need to be 'unlocked' somehow?

Old 02-19-2008, 12:42 AM
1st Gear

I think the open sky adds a great touch to the A3 and I get many compliments on mine. Ive taken my car many times through a hand car wash and its been fine. Now I manually wash just because I like it extra clean and nice

Old 04-07-2008, 01:17 PM

As long as we're discussing OS pros and cons: I bought my A3 used and it had it. I like it, but the first time I took the thing out on the interstate, set the cruise to 80mph, it started making a really irritating vibration noise (the roof was closed). It goes away for a while if you crack it open a sec and close it again, but this tells me that the tolerances loosen up after a while (this is an 06 with 66k miles). At some speeds having it open just the wrong amount can cause some very violent buffeting...as in your ear drums are in pain, but I supposed that can happen with any car.

I'm also slightly disappointed that the roof doesn't open more than it does....it does not open all the way, no matter how many times you press the open button. The shades are quite chintzy (they seem to get off track quite a bit) and as we all know they aren't opaque, which is no fun in really hot weather.

It does look unique, but if it adds anywhere near the 200lbs that TPE says it does, I would definitely nix this option if I was buying new. That's 7% of the cars weight!

Old 04-07-2008, 01:38 PM
1st Gear

My 2cents, I've never liked sun roofs, they tend to leak and generally be more trouble. It's been above 80 already here in the Houston TX area and I can feel the heat coming in already, with the shade closed. I'm hoping the AC can keep up during our long summer.

Old 04-07-2008, 05:44 PM
1st Gear

phila1776

i was down in philly a few weekends ago for the beerfest/st paddys parade. I noticed the same thing heading out of the city on 95 towards bucks county. you guys got wierd pavement down there.

I lowered my car a few weeks ago and it does creak pulling into my driveway (i scrappedmy chin yesterday...the price of looking good i guess)

[IMG]local://upfiles/39782/9C8CE9645A824FA8BFC77961C4D6FBD5.jpg[/IMG]

Old 11-18-2010, 03:23 PM
1st Gear

my only regret was not ordering my car with this feature... oh well. Not sure if I need it anyways.

But it is cool...