Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

opinion/help: 2007 audi vs...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2010, 02:47 PM
1st Gear
Default opinion/help: 2007 audi vs...

Hello everyone. Im new here to the forums and wanted to get your opinion... since most of you are already Audi A3 owners.

I'm considering purchasing a 2007 Audi A3 2.0T w/ DSG (maybe the 3.2). I am also considering a 2008 Subaru WRX. I'm doing my research now in deciding which car to get.

Those of you that own one of these cars, can you tell me what you like about it? What do you love about the car? What problems have you had (im a little worried about engine problems and cost of parts)? Rear leg room? Smoothness of ride? etc...

Pretty much any info you can tell me about the 2007 Audi A3 would be helpful.

Old 11-15-2010, 01:28 PM
1st Gear

I bought my wife a 2007 A3 3.2 quattro this past summer. It's been great so far. It's very well balanced - a perfect mix of power, handling and ride quality. Image might not matter to you, but I consider it more sophisticated and mature than the WRX. My wife and I are 36. I would feel a bit boy racer in the WRX.

I have an RS4. The thing is an absolute beast. But my wife's A3 still manages to be fun to drive and puts a smile on my face - that's a HUGE compliment to the A3.

Old 11-16-2010, 01:15 PM
1st Gear

I looked at a Subaru Outback Sport (5 door no turbo), it was nice enough, but the A3 just felt better, much nicer materials inside, and better looking. The only real problems I've had are the AC and tire noise. Check to be sure the compressor has been replaced. I've just gotten use to the tire noise.

Old 11-17-2010, 02:06 PM
1st Gear

What do I like/love about my A3? Perfect size and configuration as a "small wagon" (really helps with insurance, too! Investigate this for all the cars you're considering). Great combination of performance and gas mileage. Purchased as a CPO that has paid for its extra cost on several occasions. And my color combination (see sig - only available in 2006 AFAIK) is exactly what I wanted. It is still a very satisfying car to own and drive after 3.5 years of ownership.

Problems: Look at this link to common A3 problems.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?3366758

I've experienced many of those and a few more not listed (radiator leak, replaced DSG Mechatronics), but the car has never left me stranded, and everything has been covered under the warranty (original or CPO extension). If they'd been out of my pocket, many of those repairs would have been expensive. Many of those issues have been (hopefully) corrected with newer designs. The DSG fix, in particular, totally transformed the driving experience.

The 2.0T TFSI engine tends to use oil. Change it often (5-6K) with a good synthetic and get used to adding a quart every 1500-2000 miles.

Rear leg room: Better than the A4 when I purchased the A3 in 2007, but the new A4 is dramatically improved for interior room. The A3 has enough room for four, even when some have long legs, but nobody's gonna call it "roomy". My car pool of four guys (two tall, two short) haven't complained to my face.

Smoothness of ride: With the Sport or S-Line suspension it can be choppy. The Koni Sports helped noticeably (and are better IMHO than my experience with FSD's). Wheel weight and size (smaller diameter = better ride) and tire selection will signficantly effect ride quality.

Leg room, ride, interior noise, performance, etc. should all be judged against your own needs and expectations. BTW, the OEM Pirelli P6 tires suck according to all reports.

I've had several A4's as loaners from my dealer, including a max'd out 2009 that they loaned me for 2.5 weeks during the DSG fix. I've always been glad to get my A3 back.

Now my question will be: How long should I keep it after I'm off the CPO warranty?

Old 12-05-2010, 05:35 PM
1st Gear

dfrost,

I have an '07 A3 with original Pirelli P6 tires and they do suck. Cupped in less than 10K miles and at 18500 incredible noise, 18 wheeler loud. What tires do ride on? Recommendations from anyone?

Thanks -- Steve

Old 12-06-2010, 12:32 PM
1st Gear

Never had the Pirellis - Toyo T1-R's were already on and nearly new on my CPO when purchased at 24K. They were only OK for noise and ride - better ride when I put them on lighter wheels than the heavy OEM's. My Dunlop Winterspport M3's were better for noise.

I replaced the Toyos with Michelin Pilot Exalto PE2's, which are distinctly better in every respect, although its too early to talk about tread life. I'd buy them again, if I didn't decide to downgrade to something more "touring". The Bridgestone Turanza Serenity tires on my wife's Mazda6 wagon aren't too shabby.