Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Questions about Thule K-Summit snow chains

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2011, 09:42 PM
1st Gear
Default Questions about Thule K-Summit snow chains

Hi. I just bought a 2010 A3. Got the diesel cause wanted the good mileage for 85% of time driving on normal roads but unfortunately it was not offered with Quattro which I need for 15% of time when heading to mountains to snowboard. So I need chains as required over the mountain pass during snow storms.

In many forums I have read that the only type acceptable to use on Audi A3 are the ones that fit on the outside of the wheel and attach to the lug nuts, with no chains on inside of wheel. Some options are Thule K-Summit snow chains or Spikes Spiders or RUB Centrax. My question is: can you drive with these types of chains on normal road/concrete?

It seems with some the answer is no. For example, the Spider Spikes says that each of the 4 models they offered are meant to be used on 5-6 inches of snow/ice. That is alot of snow/ice! Often on roads in mountains I go to there are patches of the road, sometimes long stretches, that will be plowed quite well and so you must drive on the bare concrete with your chains, until you get to the next patch of bad ice/snow. These types of chains like K-Summit have large traction devices and I'm wondering if they will damage the tire during the times when you must drive on bare concrete.

Does anyone use any of the devices mentioned above and can give personal experience either yes or no that it is OK to use these devices on bare concrete? I read the other forums here that mentioned "chains" and none answer this for sure.

Thank you!

Old 02-25-2011, 09:15 AM
1st Gear

You are correct, you should NOT drive on concrete with them. I have a pair of the Thule ones and they are great on the snow but not if you are going to be on the road surface. when the snow/ice gets to that level i just pulled them off and the car drove surprisingly well on those conditions.