Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Radiator Fan Won't Stop.. HELP

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2007, 05:01 AM
1st Gear
Default Radiator Fan Won't Stop.. HELP

Got I3 flash update Thursday, took a run through the hills the following Saturday and now my radiatory fan (the one closer to the passenger side) keeps running after car is turned off.

I let it run assuming it was on to cool engine. I grab lunch, come back an hour or so later and the fan's still running and it drained my battery! [:@]

Had no choice but to use jumper cables and allowed engine to recharge the battery. Then I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery in order to keep the fan from draining me dry before I had to service on Monday.

Can anyone help??? I spoke to an Audi service tech, but he was no help in helping me locate a relay/fuse that I can remove to stop fan. Neither did he help me find the fan's switch to temp. turn it off.

I'd rather remove/replace fuses than having to pop the hood to connect/disconnect my battery each time. [&o]

Thanks in advance.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:10 AM
Default RE: Radiator Fan Won't Stop.. HELP

That sucks! Sorry, I'm no help other than to emphathize with your plight.

I hope they get it fixed soon.

Old 04-29-2007, 05:50 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Chef. How's your A3 coming along? Last I read it was getting painted?

Old 04-29-2007, 06:11 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: MYH8for405

Got I3 flash update Thursday, took a run through the hills the following Saturday and now my radiatory fan (the one closer to the passenger side) keeps running after car is turned off.

I let it run assuming it was on to cool engine. I grab lunch, come back an hour or so later and the fan's still running and it drained my battery! [:@]

Had no choice but to use jumper cables and allowed engine to recharge the battery. Then I disconnected the negative terminal on the battery in order to keep the fan from draining me dry before I had to service on Monday.

Can anyone help??? I spoke to an Audi service tech, but he was no help in helping me locate a relay/fuse that I can remove to stop fan. Neither did he help me find the fan's switch to temp. turn it off.

I'd rather remove/replace fuses than having to pop the hood to connect/disconnect my battery each time. [&o]

Thanks in advance.
Sounds like a temp sensor failure. Probably the tech might have caused the problem during I3 reflash job? The I3 addresses some false reporting and drivability issues, and after this update the A3 engine should be smoother and more responsive than original stock. Only thing you can do is disconnect the battery until service on Monday.

Old 04-29-2007, 07:31 AM
1st Gear

Thanks John. Guess I'll have to sit tight and wait it out.

Old 04-29-2007, 01:12 PM

ORIGINAL: MYH8for405

Thanks Chef. How's your A3 coming along? Last I read it was getting painted?
Thanks for asking. That is what they told me last Monday, and the car would be to me by last Friday. However, the story changed considerably when I talked with the guy at the end of last week. Now their hope is I'll have my car by the middle of next week.[:@][:'(]

If I ran my businesses like body shops do, then I'd never have any customers and the world would die of starvation. LOL

Cheers!

Old 04-30-2007, 04:35 PM
1st Gear

Update: I just came back from the dealership. They ran a few tets on the ECU and found no fault codes -- service rep. said he had no idea and gave me a A4 loaner. Will find out by EOD I suppose.

Old 04-30-2007, 05:56 PM

Good luck!

At least it's under warranty.