Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Removing the engine cover?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 10:41 AM
1st Gear
Default Removing the engine cover?

Posted this a week ago in the Audi Tech - General Tech but got no response. Will try it here. Weather has been crappy and the motorcycle has been taking up time. May get back to the car this week. Thinking of maybe using a broken broom handle as a lever and small flat stick to spread force over a larger area on a corner and just forcing the cover up but still hoping for an actual "proper" way the get this engine cover off.

Hey folks and help please. I have a 2006 A3, 2.0L Turbo. How DO you get the engine cover off?
Name:  DSCF0977_zps4283d12a.jpg
Views: 7137
Size:  354.1 KB
I would like to be able to replace my air filter and generally be able to see and check things on the motor that are covered by this plastic monstrosity. Have had some issues with the water temp sensor that I can see and reach but can't really get to for service. I can remove/unhook the air intake, exhaust & MAF sensor plug no problem. I have pulled, tugged and cussed but have not gotten the cover itself off. My manual (CD version, man I miss a paper book that you can mark pages for future reference) indicates you just lift it out of the way. I have searched forums and found a couple of good pictures showing the bottom of this engine cover. Found this info VWVortex.com - Howto: Change FSI (2.0T) Air Filter [PICS] I see that there are four grommets on the bottom that snap on posts to hold it in place. I have pulled on this thing to the point I feel it will break if I pull any harder.
So, what is the trick to it? Looking at the pic it appears the front grommets are on a different plane than the rears. Do I pull one corner at a time? Get the front (closest to the radiator) off as a pair, or left or right side first? It does look as if the front would have to be loose to get the rears to come loose.
Have any of you pulled this thing off and have any helpful hints? It just shouldn't be this hard to get to the air filter and top of the motor! Thanks for any help you can provide, Matt

Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM
1st Gear

Had some nice weather today after a week of rain off & on.
Got the engine cover off.
Name:  DSCF0981_zps4063c201.jpg
Views: 2441
Size:  107.5 KB
I started at the front left corner and just pulled until I thought it would break. The grommet popped out of it's keeper and off the the engine post. Then to the right front. Turns out the top of that post broke off.
Name:  DSCF0982_zps3ca41d88.jpg
Views: 2055
Size:  91.3 KB
Not sure if I broke it today, on a previous attempt or at the last service when the air filter was supposedly replaced. The broken bits were in the cover / air box.
Now that I know I can get the cover off the water temp sensor is in danger of suffering my wrath! Of course it looks like the battery & compartment may also have to be removed to really get at the sensor and retaining clip. That will be another adventure.