Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Reoccuring "click" in cabin

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:05 PM
1st Gear
Default Reoccuring "click" in cabin

I have been searching for an unwanted "noise" in the cabin of my A3. The sound seems to be emanating from the back seat somewhere. The sound is similar to "short sounding click of metal against plastic." The noise seems to be coming from where the A-pillar on the passenger side or the crease of the seat. Where the seat belts are sticking out. I have fastened the seat belts and I have shaken them unfastened with no clicking sound. The sound happens on any slightly bumpy road or stretch of highway. My A3 has stock premium suspension so the ride is softer than the S-line. I'm tempted to remove the rear seat to find the "gremlin" making the noise.
I know it's not the cargo hatch, tools or tire for I have removed them. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Old 07-19-2007, 07:57 PM
Default RE: Reoccuring "click" in cabin

My center seat belt makes a noise like that, and it's especially bad when the windows are open. Don't know if that is your problem or something else?

Cheers!

Old 07-20-2007, 02:49 PM
1st Gear

Ha!! I have had the same problem... but with the driver's side seat belt... IT DROVE ME ABSOLUTELY NUTS!!
It was completely random when it happened, but exactly as you described. Sometimes when I took off quickly... sometimes when I stopped short... and sometimes just when it wanted to!

Well after 3 weeks of going crazy and almost getting into two accidents as when it happened I would start to look around quickly to see what it was... Anyway I solved the problem about a week ago. A damn quarter must have fallen out of my pocket and was sitting in the small space where the seatbelt was connected on the left side. It took a tweezers to get it out but now I'm back cruising as usual!!!

Needless to say I am now much more careful when I go to pay my tolls...

Hope this helps as this drove me absolutely nuts as my car is only a few months old and I was so pissed that my brand new car was doing this!

Old 07-20-2007, 06:35 PM
1st Gear

Just got back from the Audi dealer. According to them the noise is from the bracket and center arm rest in the rear. The bracket is $300 and the arm rest is $600. Both are going to be replaced by the dealer for free. The parts come in next week. I'll keep you guys posted on the outcome.

"That's an expensive arm rest!"