Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Right knee rubbing against console

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2007, 12:15 PM
Default Right knee rubbing against console

I test drove the A3 twice this week. What I noticed the 2nd time is that my knee is sort of pressing against that bar that runs at the console. I’m about 6’1”, but not proportional; looking at the ratio, my legs are longer than my torso. It’s weird, I know, but freaks happen, and I’m one of them. Anyway, I didn’t notice it the first time, but the second time, well, I kind of felt it even when I left the car.
I ran a search on the net, and found that some people over 6’3” seem to have this sort of problem, and a few gave up on the car. And I really don’t want to. Perhaps it’s the way my seat was set up? I’ll test drive the car again, hopefully this time longer that 10 minutes.
adrian

Old 05-10-2007, 12:24 PM
Default RE: Right knee rubbing against console

I am short, so I don't usually have this problem. I have found it when I have to have the seat foward to carry something long in back. You will have to see if you can get the seat back far enough, and change the up-down adj. to get your leg away from the strut. Good luck!

Old 05-10-2007, 01:03 PM
1st Gear

After getting used to the bar in the TT and now the A3 it just doesn't seem to bother me. I agree that optimum seat settings can make a big difference.Myknee does touch but it's not bothersome and I'm average height.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:09 AM
1st Gear

totally agree on this. Odd I didn't notice this on my test drive or when I drove my colleagues(S-line). Just drove to NY and back, could never find a comfortable spot when my knee was not rubbing.I'm not all that tall, 5'9. Definitly need to figure out something...

Old 05-15-2007, 12:42 AM
1st Gear

I am 6' 2" and my knee touches the center console bar whenever I drive.
Honestly, it bothered me for about two days. Now, six months later, I don't even notice it.
I'm not saying you'll get used to it, because you might not...but, I did. It's a non-issue.

Old 05-15-2007, 09:41 AM
1st Gear

I just picked up my a3 last week, I have the same issue. I'm 6' and my knee rubs on it constantly. I did find that if you move the seat back further it drops your knees down a bit so only the top of your knee rests on it instead of the bar being on the underside of your knee which was very annoying.

Old 05-15-2007, 10:21 AM
1st Gear

haha my LEFT knee rubs that bar.... but it aint so much of a crisis coz i got right hand drive and dsg so the left leg never gets used anyway on the pedals so its easier to "pack your leg away"

Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 AM
1st Gear

Honestly, I was aware this might become uncomfortable per other posts here, but 6 months later it hasn't bothered me at all. I'm 5'10" as well.

Old 05-15-2007, 12:51 PM

I suggest shaving your knees and keeping the car. It'd be a shame to let such a fine car go to waste.

Cheers!

Old 05-15-2007, 02:47 PM
1st Gear

6'4". No issues at all w/center console bar.

Quick Reply: Right knee rubbing against console