Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Every spark plug fouled and gas economy of 160km per tank

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2021, 09:07 PM
1st Gear
Unhappy Every spark plug fouled and gas economy of 160km per tank

Hello everybody, i want to start by saying i'm new here and thanking you in advance for your knowledge, suggestions and opinions.

I have an Audi A3 8L 2005 with AGU engine and about 100.000kms, i have bought it about a year ago but after a complete automatic gearbox overhaul (not performed by me) and coronavirus, i have not been able to test it properly, now also because of a pretty complicated problem with regards of the AFR and terrible pinging/knocking under acceleration.

I have put 3 different set of spark plugs Denso, NGK and Bosch (heat range 5, 6 and 7) and every time i take them out, these things are completely fouled with black carbon and a terrible gas smell, also the head of the piston is soaked in gas, the car also smells like gas on the exhaust and have an authonomy of about 5km per liter, which is awful, i was able to do only about 160kms with a full gas tank.

I live in Venezuela, which is a terrible country to have nice cars like our Audis, since we're now forced to use a gas of about 87-91 octanes (don't know precisely how much and i have no way to find it out either but i know for sure it does not reach 93-95 octanes).

I have:
- FPR replaced with another one of 3bar

- New fuel pump, tested and pumping at 36 psi at idle

- New spark plugs bosch

- Injectors cleaned twice

- New ignition control module

- Cleaned cone air filter

- Cleaned MAF (some are surely going to say that i should not have done it, but in desperate problems, desperate solutions).

- Coils tested individually (all working)

- Tried octane booster

- Cleaned temperature sensor in the admission
- New thermostat

- Green coolant temperature sensor

- New radiator

- Perfect Idle and the car starts right away.

- Tried to run with the MAF disconnected (no changes in fuel economy for better), and disconnect and re-connect the MAF while the vehicle is on and it effectively turns off.

Vagcom says i don't have O2 sensor 1 of bank 1 (codes p0134 and 0135), the previous owner did a cat back and removed 1 of the O2 sensors, not sure if the first or second, but this was not new to me and before these couple of weeks, the car was working without any issue at all.

My turbo is a K03 at about 9psi, i know it has some problems since its blowing some oil to the intercooler, but also this is not new, and the car ran fine (without this excessive gas injection to the cylinder).

what could this be? Vacuum leak? some electrical issue? Fuse #30 under the steering wheel? I'm pretty desperate right now...

I don't own: vagcom, gas machine to make an air leak test, any specific tool.

What is obvious to me is that the engine is receiving waaay to much fuel for unknown reasons to me.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by giorgiom92; 05-25-2021 at 09:32 PM.
Old 05-27-2021, 04:06 PM
1st Gear

pardon my frankness, but take this piece of metal to the junkyard

Old 06-06-2021, 07:54 PM
1st Gear

Originally Posted by Swzatoslaw
pardon my frankness, but take this piece of metal to the junkyard
i can't. I need to sell it to buy another one, or the car in good shape to work. So this unfortunately is not an option to me, and it was working pretty ok before this.