Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Scored rotors

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2010, 09:49 PM
Default Scored rotors

I just took delivery of my 2011 A3. It had 42 miles on it when I picked it up. The dealer explained that the car sat in port for a while before delivery and the brake rotors had rusted a bit so they drove it a bit to clear that up. They said around 100 miles and it should be all cleared up. OK, I bought that one. When I got home I had 150 miles on the car and no pulsating of the brakes that they indicated that I might experience. Everything seemed OK until I looked at the rotors in the daylight. Both rotors on the right side were scored. Not deep, but enough to make me question the situation. It didn't seem normal that a new car would experience rotor scoring in such a short time unless there was something seriously wrong with the pads. Dealer has so far avoided answering my inquiry as to what is going on. I feel that maybe the pads were defective and caused the premature scoring and that the warrantee should replace the rotors and pads. Am I being overly sensitive to this problem? Should rotors show wear in such a short period of time and should the dealer be required to repair (probably pretty expensive) the problem.

Old 08-03-2010, 10:24 AM
Smile rotors replaced

Dealer finally responded and replaced one of the two bad rotors and pads with no challenge. Parts were ordered for the other one. I did observe that other new cars on the lot had similar scoring so don't know and the dealer couldn't explain what was going on. I contacted Audi through their website and spoke with a customer service rep. She had never heard of this problem. By 900 miles, the scoring had disappeared on the rotor that had not been replaced yet. No response from the dealer as to what was going on. Case closed for me with no explanation!

Last edited by thosbryan; 08-26-2010 at 06:04 PM.