Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Setup for Koni coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2008, 09:45 AM
Default Setup for Koni coilovers

If anyone has these on their car, how did you set them upfor stiffness, damping and height? I have the basic suspension now, just added the OZ Ultraleggera wheels and coilovers are on the way. I'm going to lower it a little, but really looking formuch better handling without too much sacrifice in ride quality. I knowI will be feeling more of the road when we're done andthats fine.

Old 06-02-2008, 05:49 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Setup for Koni coilovers

Props on the Ultraleggera, they are about the lightest and best looking wheel out there.

You don't mention size of wheels or tires, butyouhave totake that into account. A3s are very tight fitting in the fender wells, and wheel offset, tire size, and ride height are a juggling act. If you went with 18X8s and a 225/40 or 235/40 tire you can probaly go as low as 25.25, The 45mm offset from the OZs gives youlittle room around the fender lip for more.

If you went with 17X8s, then the offset is 48mm and you have enough clearance to go down to maybe 25.00. If you have 235/40-17s, their24.5" diameter will set you a little lower to begin with, but the .5" greater width will require a higher coilover setup to clear the fender lip.

You can also try camber bolts (crash bolts) to work in another degree of camber - that will give a little more clearance.

In either case, you'll probably want to remove the top fender liner screws.

As for the shocks, try 1/3 (1/2 turn in the rear)up from full soft for starters front and rear. Stasis StreetSports come preset for height and ride, BTW.

Oh, the perforated hexagonalshock cover grille doesn't allow access to the front adjuster with a Koni ****. Don't cut holes in the grille,you can make a toolby cutting off the tip of a cheap #2 Philips screwdriver and grinding a slot to fit the top of the shock. Use aDremel or Ziptoolwith a thin cutoff blade, not a hacksaw - the steel is too hard. Takes about 10 minutes.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:37 PM
Default RE: Setup for Koni coilovers

^^^yep.

If you look at pictures of my car, the threads are about halfway on the ride height, on average, and my fender wells are even with the top of my tire tread. It scraps easily if you're not careful on dips and such. Your *** is basically kissing the asphalt as you creen along at 140mph. Don't run over any large rocks. LOL

Cheers!