Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Shifting issue A3

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 11:37 AM
1st Gear
Default Shifting issue A3

Well I have had my A3 for a while now and I have a couple of questions about shifting from first to second.

I have an A3 2.0T 6 speed manual. I have been driving stick for years and I have never noticed anything like this.

I have noticed that when I shift from first to second it is not a very smooth transfer...I have tried shifting at differentRPMs but I notice the same issue. It just seems to kinda jerk when I am releasing the clutch. So the only way I have beenable to get around this issue is to very slowly release the clutch. Has anyone else noticed anything like this? Is this normal on an Audi?

I also notice that it gets worse when I have the AC turned on.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:11 PM
Default RE: Shifting issue A3

yup, same here...1st to second is always harsh. popping the clutch slowly when ur ::ahem:: trying to go fast isnt always possible. i feel ya on that. ive gotten used to it and have trained myself to make that transition slower and smootherwhen i am not in spirited driving mode =)

but i do hear that the ecs dog bone kit will help alleviate that problem... then there's always the VF tranny and motor mounts but that's $$

Old 07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
1st Gear

Have you tried resetting the computer? Because it adapts to your driving style, it could have "learned" in a way that makes shifting more touchy. I say this because after a dealer reset this on mine, shifting was much smoother. The key is driving it smoothly after the reset. To do this, just disconnect your battery for 5 min - then reconnect. You should immediately notice a different feel through the gears. This was recommended to me from the dealer and it worked like a charm. Good luck.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:40 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: lavadrifter

Have you tried resetting the computer? Because it adapts to your driving style, it could have "learned" in a way that makes shifting more touchy. I say this because after a dealer reset this on mine, shifting was much smoother. The key is driving it smoothly after the reset. To do this, just disconnect your battery for 5 min - then reconnect. You should immediately notice a different feel through the gears. This was recommended to me from the dealer and it worked like a charm. Good luck.
Wouldn't this only be the case on the DSG?

Old 07-31-2007, 01:47 PM
1st Gear

Negative. I have a manual.

Old 07-31-2007, 01:54 PM

Hmmm...I would happen to agree with Skye on this one. I have the DB and it definitely dampens a lot of the transmission movement allowing the car to engage in gear more quickly, hence a smoother transition. Definitely a cheap mod if you want to give it a try.

Cheers!

Old 07-31-2007, 02:01 PM
1st Gear

It could be the problem you suggest, but I would go for the cheapest (free) fix first and work my way up to replacing parts.

Old 07-31-2007, 02:43 PM
1st Gear

I used to have this issue too. I guess I must have just gotten used to this car though. I think the clutch in the A3 seems to be a lot more precise with its (dis)engagement points than the clutches in the manual cars that I have owned/driven prior.

Old 07-31-2007, 03:14 PM

Guys, my first post here but bringing my new A3 home I noticed the same phenomenum. I think the engine is slow to drop revs after the shift is made so when the clutch engages there is a little jerk. At least that's my read based on the few miles I've driven. But clearly there's a need for lots of practice and getting acquainted with the car so maybe I'm just not back into the shft groove yet.

Old 07-31-2007, 04:17 PM
1st Gear

Glad I am not the only one...and clearly I am not totally crazy. I was wondering how much the ecs dog bone kit is? Is this something that I can install myself or does it require some serious wrenching?

Quick Reply: Shifting issue A3