Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

sky view's retractable cover too thin? too transparent?

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2007, 12:22 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: sky view's retractable cover too thin? too transparent?

Tin cracking glass? That sounds silly. If the tint were to shrink, which of the two materials do you think would give first, plastic/vinyl tint or glass? I tinted mine a couple of days after I bought it. It has sat outside in quite a few 100 plus SoCal days already. No sign of shrinkage or cracked glass. Very glad I tinted it as the heat reduction is significant.

Old 08-05-2007, 01:34 PM
1st Gear

thanks for the input...
i might go with the 5% tint.

Old 08-05-2007, 02:25 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: ChrisF1

Tin cracking glass? That sounds silly. If the tint were to shrink, which of the two materials do you think would give first, plastic/vinyl tint or glass? I tinted mine a couple of days after I bought it. It has sat outside in quite a few 100 plus SoCal days already. No sign of shrinkage or cracked glass. Very glad I tinted it as the heat reduction is significant.
What i heard was that the tint makes the glass retain too much heat or something like that causing it to crack. Who knows though.
I guess if it were to crack you could take the tint off before taking it to your dealer?

Old 08-05-2007, 04:58 PM
1st Gear

I think there are several members on these forums who've tinted their open sky cars with no issues ever mentioned. I'd think if it was going to happen, you would have read about it by now. If I start seeing any cracks, i'll let everyone know

Old 08-06-2007, 12:10 AM
1st Gear

Anyone putting up a windshield cover while parked? That helps a lot, kind PITA, but it keeps the seats cool. Cool seats mean less heat to your backside, and you stay cooler.

Course I don't do that much running around, the car is pretty much back and forth from home to work. At home it's in the garage, at work it's under a tree.

The holes in the sunshade are consistent with the "opensky" theme, I don't think it's a cheap out at all, except for the complaints about the front retainer clip breaking, which is unacceptable.

I'd be very interested in tinting the sunroof glass also, however.

Old 08-07-2007, 07:35 PM
1st Gear

Hey there Sin City 3. I am in Vegas too, where did you have it done? I had my windows done by Kai on Spring Mountain, but I'd rather go with someone who already did a roof job on the A3.

Thanks!

Stas

Old 08-07-2007, 07:39 PM
1st Gear

Stas,

I had my whole car done at tint world on Decateur. They have done all my vehicals and I have had no problems at all with them. Hope that helps

Old 08-09-2007, 09:45 PM
1st Gear

i just had mine done..i'll also let you guys know how it holds up over time. so much better now (got 5% limo tint). cooler interior and no sun in my face.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:46 PM
1st Gear

I agree never heard anyone say that after they tinted their roof of any cracking. I do have to admit that the shade is very crappy. I'm already on my second set of clips in 10K miles Wish they had a way of upgrading it so that its not so flimsy.

Old 08-10-2007, 05:55 PM
1st Gear

15% on both of my Open Sky panels and no problems. And for the past week here in NC it's been 100 degrees and 70-90% humidity. Between the all-around tint and my windshield sun shade, the car never really gets much hotter inside than on the outside.

Methinks any cracking would have occurred by now, and I sought advice from a dealership, a tinting place and AoA...none of them had any concern. I just hope I haven't jinxed myself here.

Quick Reply: sky view's retractable cover too thin? too transparent?