Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

some APR love!

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 05:14 AM
1st Gear
Default some APR love!

so i just took advantage of the H2O sale for APR's and bought it...

it's been said time and time again, but i'll say it one more time. Night and day difference! The car feels like it finally woke up from a slumber. One of these days i'll try the 100 octane program too, but for now 91 is doing amazing things for me. Huge gains around 3-4000 rpm, right where you cruise on the freeway. punch the gas in 6th gear and it pulls like 4th stock does. first gear has limited traction on the crap perrili that come stock, but 2nd on up pull very hard. Great product at a good price right now.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:31 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: some APR love!

hey falcome........... try getting the 93 oct program, then use the oct booster that comes in the bottle...... you'll feel the difference......... if you don't like the traction on 1st gear, get a stiffer transmission mount by VF Engineering for $199, it'll help stick your tires to the ground, then also get 235/35 size tires, that'll help too. now all you need is exhaust and CAI and you're pretty much done. congrats on your chip finally........ where are you again? as in what city?

Old 09-21-2006, 06:02 PM
1st Gear

i'm in rowland heights. near city of industry and diamond bar if you know that area at all, right off the 60 freeway. I have the 93 program as well, i'm not sure i trust octane booster, but there IS a station that sells 100 octane and i'd rather use a gallon of that mixed with 91 to boost me up to 93 the more natural way then the booster in a bottle. we'll see though, i might try both. the shop i got it from mentioned that 93 is actually safe to run in california in cooler weather, like <80degrees. and we are coming up on that weather very soon!

Old 09-21-2006, 06:17 PM
1st Gear
Default 235 / 35 tires on 18s?

Great forum you have here. Over the past 4 years of Audi ownership, I've always been either an AW or Fourtitude guy. I just recently disovered audiforums and have found a ton of useful information here and now find myself lurking more here than anywhere. Just registered and will hopefully be picking up my new A3 in the next week assuming the train from port is running on time.

That aside, follow up to a quote above by Audinam. My biggest concern with the 2.0t (which is what i went with) was traction and it was mentioned above that tranny mounts and 235-35 tires may help alot. Can anyone shed some light on the following questons:
- if you lower via COs to a reasonable height (not slammed), will the 235-35-18s rub?
- will speedo readings be affected by the 35 - for some reason when i did the calc, i thought they would.
- will the tranny mount suggestion be eeffective for both 6m and dsg (s-tronic), or just one or the other?

Many thanks in advance and looking forward to spending time on this forum.

Old 09-21-2006, 06:55 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: 235 / 35 tires on 18s?

i think even 225 size tires can get enough grip for first gear with some high quality tires. its just the all-season tires that came on my car are absolute garbage for performance.

Old 09-22-2006, 07:43 AM
SoCal Crew Member
Default RE: 235 / 35 tires on 18s?

ORIGINAL: Avantaged S4

Great forum you have here. Over the past 4 years of Audi ownership, I've always been either an AW or Fourtitude guy. I just recently disovered audiforums and have found a ton of useful information here and now find myself lurking more here than anywhere. Just registered and will hopefully be picking up my new A3 in the next week assuming the train from port is running on time.

That aside, follow up to a quote above by Audinam. My biggest concern with the 2.0t (which is what i went with) was traction and it was mentioned above that tranny mounts and 235-35 tires may help alot. Can anyone shed some light on the following questons:
- if you lower via COs to a reasonable height (not slammed), will the 235-35-18s rub?
- will speedo readings be affected by the 35 - for some reason when i did the calc, i thought they would.
- will the tranny mount suggestion be eeffective for both 6m and dsg (s-tronic), or just one or the other?

Many thanks in advance and looking forward to spending time on this forum.
Welcome Avantaged S4,

you will soon see that not only this forum is every useful when for info, but the members on this forum are high quality people who just love their Audi, they're not self centered A$$holes who thinks they can be faster than everyone else, these guys are pure Audi Entheusiast....... or I call them Audiists!!!!!

as for your question, i don't think 18's would be rubbing, but i'm pretty sure anything bigger than 18's would rub, the A3's well is pretty big. and 35's would afftect the reading by 2 or 3 mph, the tranny mounts are available for both DSG and Manual. hope all this is a help for you.

Old 09-23-2006, 06:32 AM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: falcompsx

I have the 93 program as well, i'm not sure i trust octane booster, but there IS a station that sells 100 octane and i'd rather use a gallon of that mixed with 91 to boost me up to 93 the more natural way then the booster in a bottle.
Two things:

1. NOS racing Octane boost and Lucas Octane boost are both proven and work great.
When choosing octane boost remember that when they claim "BOOSTS OCTANE 10 POINTS!" a point is actually 0.1 octane, so 10 points would raise a full tank of gas from 91 octane to 92.

2. Mixing a gallon of 91 and a gallon of 100 actually would give you 96.5 octane.
A better ratio is approx. 3 gallons of 91 for every one gallon of 100 octane equalling a 93.25 rating.
Always err on the side of caution and add 1 extra gallon of 100 octane to be safe.
The math is easy when calculating....... just multiply gallons of 91 + your multiple of gallons of 100 octane divided by total gallons.

3 x 91 = 271
1 x 100 = 100
-------------------
371 / 4 = 93.25

Most pump gas is actually underated by 0.2 - 0.4, so you're actually getting just over 91 octane, fyi.

Or you could just do like I do and run straight 100 octane 100% of the time.