Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Some worrisome questions before purchasing 2008 A3.

Old 12-17-2007, 07:35 PM
Default Some worrisome questions before purchasing 2008 A3.

I am strongly considering purchasing a new 2008 A3 2.0T (automatic). I like the car but I noticesome things and havequestions.

1) Whenshiftedinto drive, the car does not start to roll. On most cars with automatic trans, the car starts to roll / lurch forward as soon as you are off the brake pedalwhilein D.

2) The 2.0T engine sounds kind of rough with some vibrations.

3) Did they shorten the powertrain warranty this year? 4years 50,000 milesis shorter than almost all other car brands. Almost all others have 6 year 70,000 miles or 10 year 100,000 miles.

I really like the car but I am scared to death of the high probabilty of problems in German cars. After driving Subaru, Honda, Toyota for most of my life - even a single problem is not acceptable in my opinion. Hopefully I am just worrying too much because I do like the A3. [sm=smiley17.gif]

Old 12-17-2007, 08:56 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: Some worrisome questions before purchasing 2008 A3.

I'll just chime in for question #1.

That was hill-assist. After you've had your foot on the brake for a while, it will keep the brakes engaged until you reach a certain rpm. It's to prevent rollback when you're parked on a hill, etc.

As for your overall concern, it's true Japanese cars trump everyone else in reliability, but in terms of German cars, Audi is the best. I think it was the Consumer Reports Reliability Ratings that ranked Audi as 12 while BMW was around 29 and Mercedes around 33 (don't remember exactly, but Audi was definitely 12). So I can't guarantee your Audi won't have problems, but I do guarantee you'll have much more fun driving it than any Honda, Toyota, or Subaru (except the STI).

Old 12-17-2007, 10:19 PM
1st Gear

(1) Probably you are experiencing hill-assist.

(2) The A3 2.0T is a turbo so maybe that's what you are experiencing in terms of its being a little "rough"? It takes premium so it may have needed a higher octane gas than what was poured into the tank.

(3) 4 years or 50K is a chunk of time but it isn't enough you can get an extended warranty before it expires and essentially double the period and mileage.

(4) Re:reliability/cost, an Audimay not be as reliable as aToyota, butit is more fun to drive.

But, bottom-line, if you want acar where "even a single problem is not acceptable," an Audi is not for you. Come to think of it, you might have to get a bicycle.

Old 12-17-2007, 11:27 PM
1st Gear

my 2 cents is never buy new especially for soem reason audi check audi declines in value alot wait 3 years and buy it for half the price or at a bargain . 2nd 2 cents never buy a car the fist year its out let the bugs work out if thers any

Old 12-17-2007, 11:43 PM

Ehhh...don't necessarily agree. This car is on its 3rd model year in the US and is doing just fine. Personally, I think the 2.0T engine is a champ. That will continue to make this car a little more valuable than other Audis, not to mention we are on the bottom of the price list too.

As far as purchasing this car? You need to pay attention to the maintenance of this car, check the oil, tires, etc. If all you want to do is turn the key and pretend the engine doesn't exist, then a German car is not for you. I take the trade-off of reliability with the pleasure of driving this car. But, in 2 years I haven't had a service problem that was the car's fault. I've had many from an accident, but only a couple minor cosmetic things so far.

Cheers!

Old 12-17-2007, 11:48 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: MissingLink

my 2 cents is never buy new especially for soem reason audi check audi declines in value alot wait 3 years and buy it for half the price or at a bargain . 2nd 2 cents never buy a car the fist year its out let the bugs work out if thers any
Did anyone understand this?

Old 12-18-2007, 12:01 AM
1st Gear

its does look bad but my spelling was way off in the dark all alone and it is encripted [:'(] so guys like you will not be able to read it .what i ment to say was do not buy a new car you loose way to much value in the first year buy used .but then agian im not your mom or dad so buy it its a great deal

Old 12-18-2007, 06:07 AM
L7
1st Gear

I cannot answer for #1 since I prefer to stroke my own gears.
As for #2 - the engine is a higher compression - so you will get that slight 'diesely' sound. Or if you have ever been up close to race cars - they have that same kind of knocking sound up close.
#3 - The warranty has been like that since I got my 2006 A3. And she has been running like a champ. I've gone from a BMW and have not had any complaints about reliability. As chef mentioned - maintenance is key.
And another thing about the reliability issue. Pull up the recent recall list from Toyota - they've been hit bad this past year as far as maintenance issues are concerned. The Japanese are not as perfect as their reputation seems to imply. The way things are now a dayswith Audi - 50,000 miles should be plenty for a warranty. Overall - it's what you are looking for in a car.

Old 12-18-2007, 05:09 PM
1st Gear

Re: reliability. A bad Audi is a REALLY bad Audi. Mostly because there are so many many more components at workwhen thecar runs in comparison with a Honda or Totyota. But -

1) I came from a Subaru that was rather unreliable from a hardware standpoint...soft glass and paint chipping, rattles, occasional hard starting, rattles, and more rattles..but then again the CEL never came on for as long as I owned it. The only things that have gone wrong with my year-old A3 are noises from rubber door seals that needed to be lubricated, a rattle in the Open Sky that went away on its own, and it threw a low coolant light when i let the fluid levels get low (10K mile service intervals).

2) Consumer Reports doesn't like Euro cars in general, but if you research closely, you'll notice that their margins between "above average", "average", "below average" etc., are very slim, plus the A3 is one of CR's top recommendations among small hatches/wagons. CR gave lower marks to the A3's body hardware and audio system and that's pretty much due to their flimsy Open Sky shades and a highly overrrated sound system.

Old 12-18-2007, 06:17 PM
2nd Gear

I loathe Consumer Reports...[:'(]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Some worrisome questions before purchasing 2008 A3.