Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Some worrisome questions before purchasing 2008 A3.

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2007, 11:34 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Some worrisome questions before purchasing 2008 A3.

Same here these days....I used to use them like a bible for car and applicance purchases. but i have to say i was pleasantly surprised that CR topped the A3 and A6 in their classes.

Old 12-19-2007, 11:58 AM
SoCal Crew Member

1. The A3 does not have a traditional (planetary gears) automatic. It has DSG, which is dual clutch transmission in which the clutches can be operated automatically. When you let go of the brakes, it takes marginally longer compared to a traditional automatic before it starts rolling. Also, it creeps (when you are stepping on either gas or brakes) more slowly. For me, that is better in heavy traffic.

2. The 2.0T FSI will never sound as smooth or as quiet as a Honda I4. But that does not mean that it is not running smoothly.

As for reliability, it is probably true that a Honda or a Toyota is more reliable. The A3, afterall, is mechanically just a 5-door VW GTI. And VW's are famous for having little problems. But, in my experience, most people who would buy a Toyota (especially a Camry or a Corolla) do NOT care about cars as much. They are just buying an appliance, and would not notice, or are more likely to not mind, the little problems, because they are not enthusiasts. So the gap in reliability is probably exaggerated.

Old 12-19-2007, 12:02 PM

^^^#1

Old 12-27-2007, 12:15 AM

The 2.0T in the A3 is the smoothest 4 cylinder engine I've ever driven, and I've driven plenty. It sounds a bit raucous, but that's a good thing!

Old 12-27-2007, 08:08 AM
2nd Gear

Haven't had any problems with mine i just hate scheduling a date for itsscheduled check ups with the stealership. The only thing that has broken on my car was the driver side door power lock/unlock button/switch No mechanical problems whatsoever 20k miles later drive her 6 days out the week to work. (very reliable fun to drive)

There are some interesting threads likes and dislikes about the car on this forum look them up and you'll see the likes outweigh the dislikes by far 2 dislikes for me are open sky shade to transparent for my shaved head, and not enough power, other then that she's perfect.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:54 PM

ORIGINAL: stryker

...likes outweigh the dislikes by far 2 dislikes for me are open sky shade to transparent for my shaved head, and not enough power, other then that she's perfect.
I personally don't have a problem with the OS shade, but a REAL LSD would be very nice. I think that would help with the slip and give you more power to the ground in the lower gears. That alone would help the car to be faster and handle a little better.

Cheers!

Old 12-27-2007, 05:56 PM
2nd Gear

ORIGINAL: Chef

...likes outweigh the dislikes by far 2 dislikes for me are open sky shade to transparent for my shaved head, and not enough power, other then that she's perfect.
I personally don't have a problem with the OS shade, but a REAL LSD would be very nice. I think that would help with the slip and give you more power to the ground in the lower gears. That alone would help the car to be faster and handle a little better.

Tell you what chef you shave your head and come live down here in miami for one summer
and see if you can live with the heat coming off of the sunroof, if you can bare it i'll buy you that quaffie lsd ?? deal?? If you bail out you buy me the ko3 turbo that stassis or awe or apr have available for our cars??
Cheers!
[/quote]

Old 12-27-2007, 09:07 PM
1st Gear

Time for everyone to forget this myth that a Camry is the paragon of automotive reliability. Not a fan of CR myself, but my understanding is they recently have taken the Camry off their list of recommended cars because of slipping quality. I think I saw on MotorWeek that Toyota set a goal next year to hit sales of 12 million vehicles next year. Sounds like the movie 'Gung Ho' to me...

Old 12-28-2007, 11:46 AM

ORIGINAL: stryker

Tell you what chef you shave your head and come live down here in miami for one summer
and see if you can live with the heat coming off of the sunroof, if you can bare it i'll buy you that quaffie lsd ?? deal?? If you bail out you buy me the ko3 turbo that stassis or awe or apr have available for our cars??
Cheers!
LOL

No thanks on the head shaving thing. I have a full head of hair and enjoy it immensely. Besides, I'm way too young to move to a geritol environment like Florida. LOL

But, I am moving to San Antonio next summer and I plan on putting a 20% film on the sunroofs prior to the move. Hoping that helps to keep my interior cool.

Having driven in the SA area several times over the last year, I think that my performance modding has come to an end with this car. There are just WAY too many cops around there to have any fun at all with my car.[:'(] In California, I can hit triple digits easily and have plenty of room to run, as long as you avoid rush hour traffic. Most of the roads I'd be traveling in SA are heavily monitored. My radar detector doesn't have time to rest in Texas.

Cheers!

Old 12-28-2007, 02:11 PM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: yankees25

Time for everyone to forget this myth that a Camry is the paragon of automotive reliability. Not a fan of CR myself, but my understanding is they recently have taken the Camry off their list of recommended cars because of slipping quality.
Actually they took all Toyotas it off the AUTOMATICALLY recommended list. Mostly because the Tundra 4WD is having trouble and another car that I can't remember. Both the Camry or Corrola are highly recomended by CR for their reliability and I suppose their conservative design. Just like the magazine itself.

Quick Reply: Some worrisome questions before purchasing 2008 A3.