Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Sport Vs. Premiuim

Old 09-16-2006, 06:33 AM
1st Gear
Default Sport Vs. Premiuim

Our car isn't here yet, but it's on the way. We did a special order so we could get the roof rails mounted. I ended up getting most options but really struggled with Sport Vs. Premium. I was pretty sure I was getting Sport, but on my last test drive the road feel was pretty bumpy. I once had an Acura Integra Type-R that was fun to drive, but man it would beat you up on a long drive. We will use this mostly for road trips, so it seemed like the right way to go choosing Premium. I figured I could always get the suspension modified if I had too. I'm still itching to take it to an SCCA event or two, maybe Thunderhill race track in Northern California. But the wife and I will probably be visiting National Parks and camping most of the time with the car.

Anyone got feedback on the Premium vs. Sport? Is the Premium too soft? I know the 2007 Sport comes with a bunch of S-Line stuff.

Ocean Blue 2.0 DSG Light Grey interior
Premium
Open-Sky
Nav Sound
Technology Package
Cold Weather
Roof Rails

Old 09-16-2006, 12:09 PM
2nd Gear
Default RE: Sport Vs. Premiuim

It sounds like your going to use your A3 more for road trips and work. And it also sounds like your last car taught you a lesson on stiff suspension? I on the other hand love stiff suspension i like the car to be responsive, I went with the sport, S-line was very important in my decision. Like i've said in the past you already made a good decision on AUDI A3 as your choice of cars.
Here in Miami one does not need cold weather pkg, My garage door is really a guest room so i dont need the homelink feature etc.

Old 09-16-2006, 01:56 PM

Congrats and Welcome!!!

Sounds like you've made a rational decision and you'll absolutely love your new car. I drive very fast and love the handling and feel of a fine German car and would like my suspension to be just a little stiffer than it is with the Sport package. I found the Sports suspension to ride just fine though and it should be good for most.

Have fun with you new ride. It will be very smooth for those road trips.

Cheers!

Old 09-16-2006, 04:47 PM
2nd Gear

I tried driving both sport and premium when I was at the dealer. BUT, as the golden rule goes, dont get a BMW without SPORT, so I thought the rule also applies to Audi as well. Anyways, I convinced a co-worker to get an A3 and I had a chance to sit in his A3. I can tell you that after driving 8000 miles in a Sport A3, the premium A3 seats are night and day. I can feel the comfort difference in the two seats with premium seats being much better. Nevertheless, the Sports seats are more supportive when in the corners. If you only plan to aggressivly drive you car every now and then, then you can probably live with premium. I drive my car in to the corners pretty hard everyday, so I need the Sport.

In the end, you wont regret either. Because if you have an A3, you are required to MOD, its the law

Old 09-16-2006, 04:52 PM

supportive - v - comfort thats the question

Old 09-17-2006, 02:41 AM

I agree with the above. It does sound like you made the right choice. Given the other options on your car, its pretty fair to say you aren't going to be driving this like a race car to the grocery store. I have premium and love it. The seats feel nice and I actually think the suspension is fairly stiff. I drive aggressively and I have never had and problems with the car feeling "loose". Premium it is.

Cheers, and welcome.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:26 PM
1st Gear

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think the ultimate solution would be an adjustable suspension. My brother-in-law has a Volvo V70R wagon and it has a stock pushbutton on the dash three-way suspension adjustment. Sport, Comfort, and ???? I can't remember.....

But on the A3 I've also heard that even the premium can let you feel the bumps pretty well. But I think it's Road and Track that said this car absolutely needs the Sport Package. And in regard to the Premium, are you really getting a change in suspension from the base car? I mean, "Premium" really is a package upgrade starting with Leather seats, then homelink and all that other stuff. Suspension, correct me if I'm wrong, is not upgraded, or changed in any way when you choose Premium.

Hmmm, maybe I need two cars? Ha ha, yeah, talk to the wife.

I'm pretty excited to get this car. No doubt we are all unique individuals in choosing it. It's such a cool car I can't believe I don't see more of them on the road. It's the only car I've found that can fit almost all of our needs and still get over 30mpg on the highway.

- j

Old 09-17-2006, 08:30 PM

[sm=exactly.gif]

Old 09-18-2006, 02:18 AM

I just moved into a premium from a 97 Gti Vr6 with Neuspeed sof sports and bilstein touring class suspension. I was worried that it would be to soft, but living in calgary alberta I thaught the premium and cold weather would be perfect. I am thrilled with my descision. My wife drives it as well and having the power seat is amazing...seat is easily put back and has tonnes of adjustments (wish it had mem). As for the suspension, its nice and soft over bumps and still corners good and stiff. I have had my dakar A3 06 for a week now and take it for drives every chance I can get. Everytime I'm in it....I don't need to remind myself why bought this car....it drives smooth as silk yet has the feel of german tank. You will not regret the premium..its complete luxury.