Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Storage Cover A3

Old 08-12-2007, 05:22 AM
1st Gear
Default Storage Cover A3

Anyone ever use a storage cover daily for your car? just wondering how much of a pain and how much it will be worth it to use EVERYDAY.
do they roll up easy? how thick are they? do they really work? i think it might be a good investment ($200.00).

http://www.directaudiparts.com/store...cat=261&page=1

i park my car in the sun 24/7/365, and feel the sun will take its toll. never had a cover, but wonder if i buy one, will i use it everyday..or get sick of taking it off/on.
any thoughts??

thanx!!
e

p.s. i know this is a silly question, but just wanna see how diligent people are with covers, if they own one.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:00 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Storage Cover A3

Modern paints are intended to be outside 365 days a year and yes there will be some deterioration. The question is how long are you going to keep the car? if 2-3 years don't worry. Car covers are a pain in the **** as you have to store them somewhere when not in use. You don't want to put them on if the car is wet and if you get crap on the inside of the cover then you will be dragging this across your your lovely paintwork.

My advice - build a car port or a garage

Old 08-12-2007, 02:53 PM

I used to have to park under a tree every day with my old car, and I had a custom-fit car cover for it. I got sick of taking the time to put it on every day; it adds like 3-5 minutes to your parking ordeal, every time you park. (Gotta make sure every corner is down, like a fitted bed-sheet.)

Eventually I just stopped doing it and started coping with sap and pollen and leaves and twigs and gunk on the car. Meh.

Old 08-12-2007, 03:42 PM
1st Gear

Based on a recommendation from here I purchased one of these. I only just received it the other day, so I can't tell you how much of a pain it is to take off and remove everyday, but so far it doesn't seem to take more than 2 minutes to roll up and put away or to put on.

It does a great job at protecting, too. Of course, if you're willing to spend $200, you can purchase an even better one from them than the one I linked to.

Old 08-12-2007, 08:43 PM
1st Gear

I purchased a custom-fitted cover designed specifically for the Audi A3 with mirror pockets and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The breathable yet waterproof fabric compels rainwater to bead and roll-off as if they were tiny liquid ball bearings! Once you learn to put the cover on in the same direction each time, it is a two-minute process at most. Removing it and rolling it for storage takes only thirty seconds. It prevents leaves from falling between the body panels and rotting in there. Paint is preserved and the anti-UV coating keeps the interior cooler and prevents damage to interior leather. Mine was purchased is a low-key beige color so it serves to decrease attention to the car to people who might be "shopping" for cars to steal, or at least Xenon headlights. This is an automotive accessory purchase that I'm very glad I made.

Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 AM

I've been using car covers on all my cars since 1980. The clear coat on my 5 year old Datsun 280Z cracked as did the dash. I got religion quickly.

If you use the same method (fold longitudinally in thirds, roll up from the front when taking it off - reverse when putting it on), it will take about 30 seconds either way. You will save time by having to wash your car less frequently (roughly half) and save money by keeping your car longer because it still looks good. Many people have asked me if my 17 year old Nissan Twin Turbo has been repainted - it hasn't been, it is just always under a car cover. The car will stay much cooler when parked too.

That said, I am the only person I know, including car lovers, that uses car covers daily. People get lazy. It only takes a minute or two a day but pays big dividends.

FWIW, I don't use a bag for the cover.

Buy (and use!) one.

Misano Red A3 S-line DSG (Nissan Twin Turbo...)

Old 08-13-2007, 01:05 AM
1st Gear

Eh 3 <Santa Barbara>, that is the method that I use to store my cover as well. Fold-fold-roll. It is a tiny bundle that goes right into the back of the car until I get back home.

Old 08-13-2007, 01:43 AM
1st Gear

ORIGINAL: Blue Jays

I purchased a custom-fitted cover designed specifically for the Audi A3 with mirror pockets and I couldn't be happier with my purchase. The breathable yet waterproof fabric compels rainwater to bead and roll-off as if they were tiny liquid ball bearings! Once you learn to put the cover on in the same direction each time, it is a two-minute process at most. Removing it and rolling it for storage takes only thirty seconds. It prevents leaves from falling between the body panels and rotting in there. Paint is preserved and the anti-UV coating keeps the interior cooler and prevents damage to interior leather. Mine was purchased is a low-key beige color so it serves to decrease attention to the car to people who might be "shopping" for cars to steal, or at least Xenon headlights. This is an automotive accessory purchase that I'm very glad I made.
so you got this one i assume?
http://www.directaudiparts.com/store...cat=261&page=1

thanks for all the input! i think i am going to get a cover..if i could build a carport i would -- i rent, and my driveway isn't all that big to start with.
e

Old 08-13-2007, 03:42 AM
1st Gear

Blue Jays is the one that recommended the brand I linked to, but I don't know which one he owns. Here's the post I'm referring to:

ORIGINAL: Blue Jays

Once the car is clean, put it beneath a top-quality Covercraft or similar automobile cover. The high-tech fabrics they use are custom sewn on an Audi A3 outline, so it is a taut and streamlined fit. They are waterproof, dustproof, UV lightproof, and can be locked to the car with a vinyl-covered steel cable. They go on and off in about thirty seconds and are lightweight enough that they can be rolled and stored in the trunk when you drive away. I use mine both inside and outside the garage and consider it a great investment of my money.
I bought the Block-it 380 one and it fits beautifully (has the mirror pockets and all). It's beige, low-key, and it seems to do a good job at protecting so far - but I've only had it for a few days to really judge.

Old 08-13-2007, 03:45 AM

eddiefury--does anyone else in your rental complex use a car cover? If not, that's a pretty good indicator that no one else (in your immediate vicinity) thinks it's worth the trouble. It could be that they're all stupid or a lot poorer than you, but I bet it more likely that they're pretty level-headed and just don't see the need for one. Even an extra 2 minutes per day is a nuisance, which for most folks isn't worth the extra paint protection you get.

(Disclaimer: my idea of a car wash is driving in rain.)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Storage Cover A3