Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

SuperChips In, Exhaust Next?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 11:32 AM
1st Gear
Default SuperChips In, Exhaust Next?

Put the superchip in today/

And TDI incredible! Smooth, killer torque..love the sweet squeek of rubber on the edge of grip...and the downshifts are just unbelievably smooth. And oddly, according to the shop, Superchip will actually save fuel if you drive it like you did before you chipped. But...how likely is that when I get this huge smile every time I touch the accelerator now! WOW!

I have a question for the board. The shop also recommended that I change the last third of the exhaust system to reduce the back pressure. I cannot change more than that because the particulate filter is required and there are annual air quality emissions test here. My question is: will just changing that make any difference? The shop said I don't need to change the downpipe on a TDI. (Though I'm not even sure what a downpipe is...but it sounds cool! haha)

Thanks to everyone, and as does everyone else on this board, I owe a great debt to Chef for his great advice! Chef, the aftermarket parts industry ought to give you a salary! I wonder how many thousands of dollars of merchandise you have helped them move! If you ever need anything from Taiwan, let me know!

Old 02-22-2008, 04:16 PM
Default RE: SuperChips In, Exhaust Next?

ORIGINAL: TPE_A3

Put the superchip in today/

And TDI incredible! Smooth, killer torque..love the sweet squeek of rubber on the edge of grip...and the downshifts are just unbelievably smooth. And oddly, according to the shop, Superchip will actually save fuel if you drive it like you did before you chipped. But...how likely is that when I get this huge smile every time I touch the accelerator now! WOW!

I have a question for the board. The shop also recommended that I change the last third of the exhaust system to reduce the back pressure. I cannot change more than that because the particulate filter is required and there are annual air quality emissions test here. My question is: will just changing that make any difference? The shop said I don't need to change the downpipe on a TDI. (Though I'm not even sure what a downpipe is...but it sounds cool! haha)

Thanks to everyone, and as does everyone else on this board, I owe a great debt to Chef for his great advice! Chef, the aftermarket parts industry ought to give you a salary! I wonder how many thousands of dollars of merchandise you have helped them move! If you ever need anything from Taiwan, let me know!

LOL

I second the salary idea! Actually, I've been pretty lucky getting some free items from different manufacturers to test and use. And, I wouldn't give the thumbs up on anything that I didn't like, so no worries. If they started to pay me money, then I'd really have to push their products, and I'm not in the tuner business.

I KNEW that you'd love that TDI chipped! I'm now super jealous!

As far as the exhaust, it would be good to alleviate some back pressure to help preserve the life of your turbo and help reduce EGT's. I'm not sure how much a catback system will help to reduce the pressure though? Seems most of the constriction comes from the catalytic converters and particulate filters? I'd be asking a lot more about that from your local speed shop.

Congrats on your new found power. Careful, modding is an addictive habit to start.

Cheers!