Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

Suspension advice?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2008, 10:59 PM
Default Suspension advice?

Newbie here,

Just got an A3 2.0, upgraded to 8x18 wheels. Whats the best suspension I can get that won't drop the car too much, be too harsh, cause the wheels to rub. Something a little sportier.I heard that Eibach was one of the better.

Thanks,

-Anthony.

Old 03-11-2008, 12:45 AM
1st Gear
Default RE: Suspension advice?

I'm considering the KW arrangement. I did read the NOOB posting in the forum, and some general feedback that was very positive. I'm looking for more information too!

Anyone have either installed? Feedback on it?

Old 03-12-2008, 02:53 AM
1st Gear

Lots of good suspensions out there.The standout in non-coilovers has to be the Koni FSD/Eibach kit because of the awesome FSD shocks. But, at $868 it almost bumps up against the lower range of coilovers. I like coilovers because the allow the most flexibility in setup: height, damping (usually), and corner weighting. The Koni Coilovers are availablefromabout $900 and upand I can't think of a bad thing to say about them. KW, Vogtland, Bilstein, H&R, and Eibach all make excellent kits, all with variations according to the market they're going after.

There are six possible basic coilover setups: 3 shock types and 2 spring types.Fixed damping, Single adjustable (rebound)or dual-adjustable (rebound and compression)shocks and progressive or fixed-rate racing springs.

Fixed Damping and progressive springs are used in most street oriented coilovers. Usually the setup is tuned firmer than stock, but still quite streetable. Examples are the H&R, Eibach, Bilstein and KW Var.1. Progressive springs offer good low-speed compliance, but as they compress farther get progressively stiffer. The trade off is increased unsprung weight and slower turn-in response. Some vendors offer 'clubsport' versions with stiffer shocks and fixed-rate springs. Significant time is spent by the engineers getting the desired combinations of spring rates and shock damping.

The next step up is to use rebound-adjustable shocks.Thios allows drivers to firm up the suspension for track use, and soften it up for daily driving. Koni, Stasis Street-Sport and Vogtland all use Koni shocks, but Vogtland uses racing springs with secondary 'tender' springs. I'm not sure who manufacturers KW shocks, but like Vogtland they use fixed rate racing springs.

Dual adjustable shocks and fixed rate springs are Bilstein PSS9 and KW Var 3. These are essentially club-racing or dedicated autocross setups, and the most expensive to buy, themost time consuming to set up and the harshest riding on the street.

All cars with coilovers need to have a 4-wheel alignment after the install, and corner weighting will make the vehicle handle amazingly well. Ride height setting is very much a factor of wheel size and personal preference.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:03 AM
1st Gear

Thanks Panzrwagon!

And that is by far the best handle I've ever seen for an Audi site!!

Old 03-12-2008, 04:45 PM

Great info Panzr.

I am interested in the Konis because I've heard nothing but positives about them.

Something I'd like to know about coilovers in generalis whether they are fully adjustable while on the car or do they have to be removed to change height and dampening?

Also, do some coilover brands vary in terms of the above adjustability while mounted? I think it would be great for a coilover to be fully adjustable and never have to remove it for its entire service life. I wonder if that's possible?

Thanks for sharing your expertise.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:52 AM
1st Gear

Let's just say I've paid for my suspension education. Price of admission for fun. I should have mentioned that the front adjustables are reached through the top using a #1 flat blade screwdriver, because the Koni adjuster **** won't fit through the cool A3 trim price above the strut. The rears have to be removed from the car to be adjusted.

Stasis Street Sports are the Konis setup by Stasis for their optimum performance, so you can forget about the rears and just tweak the fronts. Be sure to measure where you are starting from (e.g. 3 full turns from full soft or whatever) so you can return to normal.

All coilovers are height adjustable on the car. In front, usually two large jam nuts are used to set the heightat the bottom spring perch. In the rear an adjustable spring perch is used because the suspension can't really be converted to a full coilover without violating a whole bunch of class rules for club racing and autocross regarding suspension pickup points and spring mounts.

Bilstein PSS10s and KW Var 3s are adjustable front and rear on the car via a **** at the bottom of the shock. I would also recommend investing in a good racing jack and a couple jackstands at this point, as you will be crawling underneath the car.

Finally, there are a couple electically adjustable coilover suspensions out there. All usual cautions about complexity apply, and if you have to ask the price... Also, they are only available for the A4, 3 Series and WRX/Stito my knowledge.

Old 03-13-2008, 02:12 AM

That clears up alot of ignorance I had concerning COs. Thanks again Panzr.

I like the idea of getting the Stasis-tuned Konis. I doubt I'd need to change the dampening, just the height. So they would be perfect - and they can be adapted to different sized wheels and different road surfaces.

[sm=burnout.gif]

Old 03-13-2008, 02:38 AM
1st Gear

Another vote for the Koni FSD with S-line Euro springs, sounds exactly like what you want.