Audi A3 The Audi A3 offers cutting edge engineering, performance, and luxury in one affordable package.

For those of you in a state that require front license plates...

Old 01-15-2007, 07:48 PM
1st Gear
Default For those of you in a state that require front license plates...

Smoked acrylic license plate covers...$3.95 at Autozone...does a decent job of blending in the front plate with the grill bar. Cheap enough if it breaks or the Man tells me it has to come off, I'm out no more then a 6 pack.

[IMG]local://upfiles/26177/A59C88CC63CA4AE6B2DB530231D6595E.jpg[/IMG]

Old 01-15-2007, 08:00 PM
1st Gear
Default RE: For those of in state that require front license plates...

Unfortunately, that's as bade as not having a license plate. Most states have laws that say you cannot obscure a license plate in any manner. From http://blogs.kitsapsun.com/kitsap/ro...icense_p.html:

"Trooper Brian George of the local state patrol detachment said there isn't an absolute prohibition against clear covers, or tinted ones, for that matter, but troopers may find that some violate the law on obscuring one's license plate. That law forbids display on a vehicle of plates "which have been in any manner changed, altered, disfigured or have become illegible. License plate frames may be used on vehicle license number plates," it continues, "only if the frames do not obscure license tabs or identifying letters or numbers on the plates and the plates can be plainly seen and read at all times. It is unlawful to use any holders, frames, or any materials that in any manner change, alter, or make the vehicle license number plates illegible."

And from http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/License_plate:
"Some drivers purchase clear, smoke-colored or tinted covers that go over the license plate, usually to prevent such electronic equipment from scanning the license plate. Although perhaps useful to those avoiding detection from police, these covers are not legal in the entire United States and their use is discouraged in other countries."

I just drive without a front license plate, and if I get a ticket (which I haven't yet with my A3), it is usually a fix-it ticket and I can put the license plate back on temporarily until I get the ticket signed off.

Old 01-15-2007, 10:27 PM
2nd Gear

I live in irvine and I've gone almost 1 year without a license plate. Of course I had those hold your breath moments when a cop is across from me in an intersection waiting for the light like me, or when I'm tailing a cop and realize I dont have a front plate and slowly back off. Sadly with a blackout grill and a black car you can really tell there's no plate. Hopefully the day will never come where I get a fix it ticket.

Old 01-15-2007, 11:39 PM

Well, never go to LAX without a front plate. I had my Euro plate on and got a fix it ticket. I had it signed and sent off like stated, but they had sent me a letter requiring $10 for filing the paperwork. Unfortunately, I received that letter after I received the one concerning my bench warrant for not paying the $10. I then had to schedule for a court date, and since then have received a notice that my license will be revoked this Saturday. My court date is tomorrow. I'm sure that I will have it all cleaned up tomorrow. BUT, it will probably cost me a decent amount in court costs, and I'm sure that I'll have to take paperwork to the DMV and probably pay another fine there.

My point is that a fix-it ticket is far from free and could have a huge hassle with it. I also work right next to LAX so I won't be putting my Europlate back on. I'm just hoping that the window tinting goes un-noticed by the po po.

Cheers!

Old 01-16-2007, 02:04 AM
Default RE: For those of you in a state that require front license plates...

What about a euro plate with your state license plate number on it? It would look better!!!! But, alas, I live in AZ and don't have to worry about it

Old 01-16-2007, 03:11 PM
1st Gear

A EURO license plate. Now that I wish was allowed on the front. I was looking into ordering one, but here in NJ I would totally get ticketed.

Old 01-19-2007, 08:28 AM
1st Gear

Notice for you Cali guys. You can have a Eruo plate on but are also required buy state law to also have the state plate visible in the front as well. The last thing the LAPD or LASD or any of those other departments in that area are looking for is no front plate. The only reason you would get pulled over for that is if they expect something else and will use it as an excuse to pull you over. ( in Chef's case LAX PD are a bunch of pansy A$$'s with nothing else to do but screw everyone over)
If you are wondering how I know all this wonderful info I can thank LAPD, LASD, SMPD(Santa Monica), VCPD(Ventura County) I have best friends in each department.
NV, AZ, WA, ID, NM all do not require a front plate but will use it as a reason to pull you over. Also Not sure on what states this is but if the manufacture does not proved a spot or mount to put a front plate you are not liable to have one.
SORRY CALI YOUR IN THE Fed UP STATE!!!

Old 01-22-2007, 12:56 AM
1st Gear

here in cali you have to have the plate BOLTED to the car too. I had a friend get popped for a 'zip tie' job he did on his car.(rice rocket with a body kit)

Old 01-22-2007, 03:08 AM
1st Gear

A3Guy: Pretty cool! Though the lighting for your picture fades out right at the bumper. Can you post a few more pictures from different angles/lighting?

I drove a two different Miatas for 14 years without a fix it ticket here in CA. Our 356SC's front plate has always been zip tied to the overrider bar on the front bumper.

Old 01-22-2007, 09:11 PM
1st Gear

If by 'fading out' you mean the lower edge of the plate cannot be seen, that is by design. I actually bentthe lower inch or sobehind the plate so it would be even with the lower edge of grill bar (decided to not CUT it off in case I was forced to return the plate to it's original shape...). I also cut the acrylic cover to likewise be even with the bar.
As far as posting new pics, that may take some time as it's typical Ohio now, overcast and gloomy. Hopefully we'll see some sun soon, like in May! I'll post what I can, when I can.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: For those of you in a state that require front license plates...